New Jersey Hunters banner

21 - 40 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
928 Posts
i hunt right in that area near merrill creek. we used to see feral goats all time while deer hunting. supposedly there was a fire at a local farm and some goats got loose and went feral. i do remember always seeing deer with those goats during the 6 day and those goats were real jittery too. they slowly died out or got shot as i haven't seen any in about 4 years. but what a memory of seeing a small herd of deer running through the woods with a big black and white goat leading the way

·
Registered
159 Posts
Was that near "Juggtown" mountain?

When I worked at Mountainview Prison 15 years ago I
thought I was seeing things when I passed one on a ridge on 78.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
im 29 and grew up in the area. there was 2 goats to start one got killed and the other lasted years. im talking 20 years ago. my mom alwasy use to drive slow to see the goat. he died about 12 -13 years ago. he ell to his death.

·
Registered
664 Posts
I lived over there twenty years ago and do remember the goat and also the colored ice, anyone know how the ice got the colors on it. Today I would think it was paint ball guns.

·
Banned
5,494 Posts
There is still a goat that hangs out around there! I see him from time to time, my brother see's it too. It is on the West bound side of 78 between exit 11 and 7.

·
Registered
1 Posts
OK guys just found this site. I was going out 78 last Sunday and saw this goat (brown one) on the side of the road. I had my Tahoe full of friends, told them we just passed a ram or doll sheep on the side of the road (about MP 7 or 8) They all laughed for awhile and told me I'm hunting to much. Today I was East bound in the same area and there he was bedded on the side of the rock ledge at 6pm. Had a tag in one ear, was very cool to see.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
i remember seeing it when i was 11- about 20 or 21.. comming back from hunting with my uncle and grandfather im 35 now everytime i drive thru the mountains i always look for him but never see him.. it was a white 1

·
Registered
15,842 Posts
That white goat was there in the mid seventies and was a local legend for quite some time after.

·
Registered
199 Posts
When some family moved out to a better place, used to go out 78 often, didn't believe the the Goat story was true at first. Finally saw it and looked for it for years! A true and cool Jersey legend!

·
Banned
19 Posts
See, this is what I'm talking about.

A guy posts a question and he gets 100 of the same answer. Can we cut down on the excessive crap? Maybe actually read the answer already given and if you have the same answer, keep it to yourself?

Nobody cares that YOU saw it too. It's like you answer to brag, but really, nobody cares what you have to say. Everyone here is Jersey so they just care about what THEY have to say.

Please?

TheTruthHurts

21 - 40 of 81 Posts