New Jersey Hunters banner

41 - 60 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
640 Posts
My brother is a trooper and just got transfered from Perryville Station, this morning heading through Jugtown Mt and he says....."there is a goat that hangs out here." Funny I read this this morning and didn't even mention anything about it to him.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Yep, I remember, think the best way to see them was to be going east bound down Jugtown Mountain off tto the left on the hill.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
I guess that a few are around.Probably escape from somewhere.
When I was a kid in the Boy Scouts I found a Dead Full Curl Ram in Hackettstown while looking for snakes.I took the scull to the main camp and the Leaders hung it in a tree.The next time we went back it was gone.I have no idea where it came from.[confused]

·
Registered
9,577 Posts
I remember a guy at Butts and Bows who would talk about it..he swore it was a Rocky mt. Goat....

Tool...LOL

·
Registered
9,711 Posts
at one point there were actually 4 there, was cool when they would be all laying on that shale out cropping. Many guys only saw the white ones as they stood out more, but there were 2 that were white, one was brown and one black/brown

·
Registered
375 Posts
west bound side of the jug a guy shot a giant 150in buck there this year. you can see his stand. Its about 25yrds off the highway. Big box stand.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I can't believe this I am a snake breeder and today April 26 2014 I was passing the mountian going out to the Hamburg reptile show. And on the westbound side and saw the biggest muscular goat/ram I've ever seen in the rocks on I 78 just outside Phillipsburg. My wife told me I'm nuts and maybe next time I'll see a lion or tiger. I couldnt believe my eyes. I googled it and it brought me to this site. They are not all dead. What was so distinct from a domestic goat was the amazing musculature.

·
Registered
14,076 Posts
We had a goat back in the 70's living in Branchburg and he used to graze by the railing on rt 202 for about 4 months until some jackwad shot him. Funny as hell to see him bedded not far from the highway. He never ranged far and was an easy target with the white coat. Another farmer missing a goat in this case. I always look passing jugtiown

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
Years ago there were several goats that used to hang out on those rock bluffs on the Eastbound side of 78. Only a couple times did I see some on the Westbound side. we had even saw the big white billy right along the guardrail one day at road level. I thought they have been gone for several years so have not been looking for them. now with some of these posts it seems 5there are some more loose goats there. I will have to keep an eye out for them. I pass through there quite often.

·
Registered
5,501 Posts
Anyone ever see the Indian (sorry, Native American) that lives up there in those hills? When I was a kid my dad used to tell us about the Indian that lived up there and would throw stuff at cars as they went by. He was apparently mad that his ancestral lands had been taken and the mountains carved up for the white man's roadways. Anyway, every time we would go on trips he always told us to look out for the Indian.
Luckily we knew what areas to be especially vigilant in. The highway department has posted signs for us all over the highways and byways. Part of the Eisenhower Interstate Highway program, I guess. I'm sure you've seen the signs.
The Indian's name? Falling Rock.

·
Registered
711 Posts

·
Registered
2,695 Posts
I just saw one 15 secs ago. Brown guy bedded on the rocks

·
Premium Member
14,409 Posts
I just saw one 15 secs ago. Brown guy bedded on the rocks
Yup seen him yesterday on the westbound side made me recall Mr.Mays big old white one that everyone thought was a "Mountain Goat" both are just plain farm goats same as what folks raise for goats milk and or as meat goats to sell to Carabean people and middle easterners.

Reactions: ROSSBOWHUNTER
41 - 60 of 81 Posts