New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, does anyone winter bow hunt in Black River in Chester. I am new to bow hunting, not that new to archery. Have gear to hunt. Prefer to hunt from ground and don't own a tree stand. Not sure what is recommended in winter. Need to learn from someone rather than guess. Have all the licenses from this summers hunter ed. classes. Read alot about tactics from this website, books, mags. Thanks

·
Registered
18,010 Posts
Stealth if your on the ground. Have the Correct cloths and foot gear.Your equipment needs to be in shape and then only shoot if you are certain you can make the hit.Don't rush it. Face into the wind and camo matched to surroundings.Be in deer country.

·
Registered
16,173 Posts
I hunt BR during Shotgun Season. I Bow hunt there in Sept & Oct. Your best bet is from a tree stand but it can be done from the ground. Just get into the thick stuff. You should be able to follow the tracks to a place where you can ambush them. I find they tend to move into adjoining safty zones and private property at dawn and back out at dusk. Also in Jan and Feb. the majority yard up down in the swamp. Just play the wind. It's just a matter of putting your time in.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Do you walk in with hunter orange and remove the vest once your set up? Don't need hunter orange with winter bow or is this asking to get shot?

G

·
walking in while it's still dark no need to wear the orange cause you will have a flashlight. If your winter bow hunting an area where permit shotgun hunting is allowed then I would wear while walking in/out if it's daylight out, also have it handy in case a shotgunner for deer or small game is walking around, and pull it out so they see.

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
also have it handy in case a shotgunner for deer or small game is walking around, and pull it out so they see
Good advise Joe.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.