New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Banned
8,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I heard some turkeys behind my mother-in-laws house. looks like it will be a good year to bag a gobbler. Can't wait trying it with a bow this year

·
Banned
8,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just got the last stuff for turkey season.. I just picked up a hen decoy and a face mask I'm ready now. is there anyone else that is hunting turkey in zone 8? Being my first time to hunt them would like to hunt with someone to show me the ropes.

·
Registered
18,564 Posts
that's one thing i have never done yet is turkey hunt. next year i'm going to give it a try. usually i go to NY trout fishing on the delaware as the same time as turkey season.

·
3,413 Posts
How come every time I'm turkey hunting I see deer, and when I'm deer hunting I see turkey?!?

I think they know something I don't!

·
Premium Member
13,661 Posts
I hear ya Bacs. When I bow hunt... I have turkeys walk under the tree. (Same day I see zero deer.)

When I turkey hunt... I have deer walk up to me. (Same day I see (or hear) zero turkey.)

·
Registered
16,174 Posts
Maybe a stupid question but, do people turkey hunt from tree stands? Is it legal? and if it is than why not if you seem more?

·
Premium Member
13,661 Posts
Yes, you can hunt turkey from tree stands... and yes it is legal. Personally, I like being on the ground for two main reasons:

- I move around a lot (not stalk...rather reposition, then call)
- I like calling from the ground since thats where a turkey in nature would normally call.

Then again... I am not an expert. I have yet to harvest a gobbler.

·
Banned
8,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well I got my permits today and I have zone 8 (B)April 25 to April 29 also (G)April 23, 30, May 7, 14, 21 I can't wait till it's time to hunt.

·
Registered
177 Posts
MG, I also hunt in zone 8. I didn't get a permit this year because I am planning on working on my house strait through till the fall hunting season(s) and winter trapping but, my 13 yr old daughter wanted to hunt so I got her into a hunter ed class. She is very excited and wants to get a turkey!:D
I will not say that I am an expert but I have taken turkeys in almost every season I got a licence for in the past. I am saving my good spots for my little girl but I would enjoy getting together with you to show you some of the calls I use and I can lend you some good videos and audio tapes done by the pro's. Also check out turkey and turkey hunting magazine, It's one of the best. It not only gives you clues to help hunt them but you also get turkey biology lessons in every mag.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Got one this morning 7:30.20#-10.5" beard-1"spurs.Zone 8,took him with Blk.Powder Gun.35 yds.120 grains triple seven,2oz #5 shot.

·
Banned
8,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks Raptor and welcome to NJH. Tell your Daughter I said good luck. It's great that young kids want to learn to hunt and be in the outdoors. You are a lucky man. If your daughter wants to hunt deer let me know I know of some good spots in Warren & Hunterdon Counties zone 10 for deer.

·
Registered
177 Posts
MG....I apreciate the offer. Maybe!
How did you do on Saturday?
My daughter had the adrenaline rush of a lifetime untill I told her not to shoot. The shot was marginal. 40 to 50 yards. She's hunting with hevi-shot 3" mag #6's (20 ga) and possibly could have rolled that bird but for me it was too far. The gun patterns out nicely at 30 yds but it's not tested farther than that.....She did have fun though and wants to go again. Oh yeah....by the end of the day she could have sat down anywhere and fell asleep!:D

·
Registered
90 Posts
Went out this morning,located 4 gobblers.They were gobbling even in the drizzle and dampness.Only had to use locater call to locate one of them.Trying to get a friend his first bird tomorrow,should be fun.Griz

·
Registered
90 Posts
Well,took my friend this morning to try and get him his first bird.We set up on a bird a 5:40 called with know response.2 fox came in to the decoys.Tried calling again at 6:00 know response again.Tried again at 6:45,Nothing.6:50 bird came in silent,"BANG" first bird!He said his heart was pumping real bad and his legs felt like rubber when he went to get up.THAT"S WHAT IT"S ALL ABOUT!Ya Whoo.

·
Banned
3,206 Posts
Good job Griz. How big was it?

I got a 14 lb Jake on Saturday Morning,It's the first bird that I called in by myself, It looked bigger walking through the woods. I couldn't believe how bad I was shaking as it got closer. It was up on a hill about 450 yards away and I was surprised that it came down to the call. Not a big bird but I was still happy as hell. Usually my cousin calls for me but I wanted to get into calling myself,I'm still no pro with the mouth call but I'm getting better.(must be getting better if I called in a bird)

I have a permit for this week but I couldn't get out today,we'll see what the rest of the week brings.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts