New Jersey Hunters banner
41 - 47 of 47 Posts
G

·
Zone 4's deer herd is hurting since the 2002 season. I haven't seen as many deer since then like I have in the past, it's a shame since this is typical deer country.

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
I agree with BHC

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
Well I saw plenty of deer tracks! Didn't see one deer on Monday. The area warrants more scouting... Also saw bear tracks - this warmer weather is getting them out of their dens. I wasn't too keen on contesting a kill with a hungry bear so moved off to another area where, again, I saw plenty of deer sign. I may not have the protein on me that I once did but I'd sure be a high fat meal for an overwintering bear these days!

·
Registered
10,462 Posts
Fawn
Currently Offline Posts: 69
Well I saw plenty of deer tracks! Didn't see one deer on Monday. The area warrants more scouting... Also saw bear tracks - this warmer weather is getting them out of their dens. I wasn't too keen on contesting a kill with a hungry bear so moved off to another area where, again, I saw plenty of deer sign. I may not have the protein on me that I once did but I'd sure be a high fat meal for an overwintering bear these days!
Was that in the area we discussed? What is the second area you went to? Anywhere any time in zone 4 you may have to deal with a bear.

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
Anywhere any time in zone 4 you may have to deal with a bear
Agreed, I've seen enough of them up there. I'd rather be somewhere else, though, when Mr Bruin wakes up feeling a mite peckish :D

In the autumn when there's plenty of other food around, maybe, but not when I'm the best high fat snack around and only armed with a 53lb recurve.

Was that in the area we discussed?
Both.

BTW, do you drive a Ford Explorer? Someone was down on the Flats and I wondered if it was you.

41 - 47 of 47 Posts