New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Zone four is heavily managed, deer numbers are down dramatically and F&G routinely only allows one day shotgun permit. unlike other areas zone 4 having a large federal portion (water Gap) there are few private farms there and the state is always attempting to increase deer numbers there.
This zone always gets overhunted during six day firearm by non-resident hunters due to most of it being public land and easy access...

B

·
0 Posts
deer numbers are down dramatically
that I agree with 100%
This zone always gets overhunted during six day firearm by non-resident hunters due to most of it being public land and easy access...
agree with that 100%, alot of out of state hunters NY/PA

I've been hunting there sice 1997 since I lost my lease, and I enjoy hunting there, but the deer numbers are down from when I first started hunting there. It does get pounded during the shotgun season, and you have to get in early and deep. The reason they have a 1 day doe day is that the herd doesn't get killed off cause they the state know it heavily hunted. Also I always hunted the single doe day there, and I never did get a deer on that day, and matter of fact I never had a deer within range on that single day, the deer are scared from the shotgun season.

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
yet i'm still drawn to it after many many yrs, I guess its the rustic feel of zone 4 reminds me of what hunting was in the old days, woods, mountains, etc.

·
Banned
5,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I never bow hunted there. What would be better.... Winter bow in zone 4 or permit shotgun somewhere else.

·
Banned
8,011 Posts
winter bow anywhere should be good this year.... lots of m [no swearing please] crops this year. I would like to try different spots ( wma's or private land ) if anyone is willing to let me or others hunt private land or want to do a meeting hunt ( wma's ) just post to see who is up 4 it.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts