·
Registered
2,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone up for some winter bow action?

·
Registered
6,056 Posts
Too far North for me - I'll be either in zones15,16 or maybe 51 if I play my cards right.

·
Registered
6,947 Posts
I'm going to give winter bow a try for the first time. I'll be up in zone 6.

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So I'd be wasting my time going up there, right?

·
Banned
8,011 Posts
BHC just says that so other hunters wont hunt in zone 4... He wants all the deer for himself....

Have I called you a Poacher in the last 6 posts I did?........

BHC=Poacher... why do I say that for...because I'm on the hash

G

·
So I'd be wasting my time going up there, right?
Yes you will be, the herd is hurting, there isn't any food sources like farms, the woods are really deep, it's hard hunting during the regular season. Pequest zone 8 is good this time of year

G

·
1st off zone 4 is big, with lots of land
2nd the herd isn't what it was, it's really hurting
3rd your on more then hash
4th its not worth hunting in the cold temps, since most likely you won't see a deer

·
Banned
8,011 Posts
1st off zone 4 is big, with lots of land
2nd the herd isn't what it was, it's really hurting
3rd your on more then hash
4th its not worth hunting in the cold temps, since most likely you won't see a deer
You forgot:
5th BHC is a poacher

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
BHC, thanks for talking the time to answer. I don't want to seem argumentative or disrespectful because you obviously have more experience of hunting than I do - I am a total newbie.

I want to try zone 4 because there won't (shouldn't) be any legal rifled slugs flying around in Jan up there. I'm not crazy about being up in a tree with all those city folks blasting rifled slugs at everything real or imagined that moves without knowing what is beyond the 'target'.

It's interesting that you should say that the herd is hurting because it is one of the only non EAB zones. I always thought that if you want to reduce a whitetail population you should target the does. I'm sure that most kills up there wouldn't be does because a hunter doesn't need to kill a doe first, right?

Also, even if I don't 'score' I'll still have a great time outside and learn something new even if it turns out to be - don't hunt zone 4 in the cold temps :)

G

·
I'm sure that most kills up there wouldn't be does because a hunter doesn't need to kill a doe first, right?
antlerless deer need to be taken out, but not as many as the NJ allows. You would think that zone 4 would have a large deer herd, and this what I can't understand why it isn't. 2001,and before deer would be behind every tree, well at least where I hunted

·
Banned
1,192 Posts
zone 4 is very hard to hunt.It has alot of land and most of it you are climbing straight up hill.U do come across some nice bucks occassionally,but not enough deer per square mile.This is why there is no EAB.

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks Mystic. I just responded on the thread that you put out.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts