New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally after 3 weeks I was able to get out for an afternoon hunt. Got in my stand about 3 and settled in. I started a series of grunts and the can every ten minutes or so. After about the 3rd or 4th set of calls, I hear a grunt, then another, and another after that. Hit the can once more and seconds later see movement about 60 yards away and a nice looking spike comes out and stops broadside about 40 yards away, plants his feet and stands there for a HALF HOUR looking for the "hot doe" he heard. I couldn't wait for him toleave so I can continue calling. He didn't even leave when another hunter walked out of the woods a 100 yards away at 4:30. Finally he just disappeared. 10 minuted later I heard a snort and a deer take off. Then it must have stopped a 100 yards away (out of site) and just kept snorting every couple of minutes. I start the calling again and a few minutes later, I see a deer and it's the spike again about 100 yards away. I moved my hand and my release hit my grunt tube and it took off like a bolt of lightning. I saw one more doe after that and it was over.
It was a great night out there and I was glad to see a reaction to my calling. Hopefully Saturday morning the big boys are out.

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
Hopefully Saturday morning the big boys are out.
Hopefully. I gotta get one before 8am as I have a trailride to go on. Secretly, I wouldn't mind getting out of the trailride for my first deer, but you didn't hear that from me (and that would be selfish, my wife is gonna be very happy with this ride and we will have good company too (NS911 and his wife - can you believe he talked me into a ride on the first weekend of the RUT). Actually, I am going to thoroughly enjoy the trailride, but I would like to take it knowing I harvested a deer this year. It could happen - and NS911 could be draggin my 12 pointer out of the woods for me (he prolly would too) - palmations would be a plus of course).

Good luck hunterpanz1100, we both could get lucky [patcheye][up] I shouldn't say luck, I should say SKILL...here we go and may knowledge, wisdom, and a dose of muscle memory not fail us!!!

·
Registered
734 Posts
Htp 1100
I heard grunting last evening after being on the stand 20 min. I seen the buck zigzagging from timber toward the thick stuff. I used the "can" twice, but nothing happened. I hit the grunt twice, and he came a running.
I fumbled getting my grunt tube back into my pant leg, and put the release on the string.
At first he didn't look good enough to shoot, but when he turned and came my way head on, I said Oh boy.
Everything was perfect except my shot. He came broadside at 12yrds, quartering away and stopped to smell the trail. I pulled and aimed, but as soon as I released, I lifted my head to look. Arrow skimmed right over his shoulder, just cutting a few brown hairs. He jumped a couple of yards and looked around. I quickly nocked another arrow, but he walked away and that was it.
I was so disgusted I got down, found the arrow, and went home only to hear my wife ask me over and over, how can you miss?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts