New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
7,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have been spending a lot of time in the woods and keeping a good eye on my cams. My one can has an average of a dozens does 90% of them are mature. They are feeding and passing through unhharassed. Based on my journals from the past years this next week into the following should be red hot by me. I still have pics of 2 and 3 bucks together as well. Have seen spikes 4 pts and baskets responding to bleats and grunting as well as some lip curling but no real hard chasing yet. Also my scent drags with tc plus and doe in heat from redneck have been producing sightings everytime I'm in the woods. Mock scrapes are on fire day and night as well. These are just my observations for northern Sussex county border of zone 1 and 2 Wantage, Frankford , stokes etc. What's everyone else's report? Good luck! Its about to get real goooood.

·
Registered
7,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Guess I am the only hunter in z2? Ha

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
I am also hunting in zone 2. My buddy shot a 7 pointer last night following a doe & grunting. I helped him gut it & drag it out

·
Registered
7,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nice. Keep it coming guys. What have you been see in? I have 14 does in the back right now all feeding calmly.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Zone 2. sat this morning on my property. does were moving by themselves.
No bucks seen. Was windy this am. Pulled my sd cards and had two different new bucks show up at around 12:30 am on consecutive nights. A lot of the doe feeding activity is nocturnal as well. Hoping a big boy pokes his head out during shooting light. By the way, been adding grow the bone to the corn I have been putting out by my cams, seeing alot more deer. Good stuff, thanks Dave.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Had 3 bucks still together this past Friday in Sparta, one quite large. I'm taking off this upcoming Friday and next Monday and will be in woods all 4 days. Can't wait.

·
Registered
9,623 Posts
Zone 5. Hunting travel corridors and funnels that produce year after year, connecting doe bedding areas. Very little activity as of yet. Had a 1.5 year old 6 come thru last night right at dark, nose to the ground. Tonight same area, nothing. Will sit in same funnel tomorrow morning from dawn until 11 or 12, and will see if this cold night kicks something in!

·
Registered
7,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OK so it appears northern nj is in the same shape. Holding pattern. So sounds like the journal is accurate. Its almost here.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Bucks definitely on the move on our Wantage property. Seen more bucks than does lately.

·
Registered
5,957 Posts
Very strange year/rut. For past two weeks, there has been a day where u would swear the rut was about to blow wide open, only to follow with a day or two of nothing.
This weekend in zone5 (not far from zone 2) started with much promise, watching a broken leg mature buck work some doe (until neighbor's dog chased them away). Then hunted a diff area Saturday night - no deer. Back to my woods, deep stand only used for rut - no deer at all.. Tonight - hunted stand with camera and bait, has been pulling deer nearly every day, and had a 2.5 yr old 8pt on it mid-day yesterday, but again - no deer seen tonight...

That marks the SECOND weekend in a row, where I saw some deer Saturday morning, then next 3 consecutive hunts, no deer sightings. Today - it felt like full lockdown but maybe they just didn't like the wind, who knows. Driving around - could not see deer anywhere today. Very disappointing, my historical calendar says today should have been wild but it was worst day of deer hunting I have ever seen except for last sunday which tied it...

Of course - it will break open this week, it has to...

·
Registered
464 Posts
Hoping to put about 40 hours in the woods from Friday to Monday of this next week. Barely been out this year so far so extremely anxious to get in the woods!

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Im hunting Lott Rd in Wantage and I have only seen 1 buck chasing hard..........hope tonights cold weather gets them going tomorrow.........

·
Registered
638 Posts
I was out Friday am and pm and saw no activity. On my way home Friday night a saw two large 8 pointers walk out in a field and start feeding together. Saturday saw one of the 8s pushing a few doe around. At least in my spots very limited scrapes and rubs compared to last year even though quite a few 6 and 8s on my trail cams. I think this week will be when it kicks into high gear around here.

·
Registered
7,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
im thinking this week into next week should be pretty good.

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
I'm in 1, not far from you. Didn't see any chasing Saturday, and bucks have been moving late or early, before/after shooting light. Hopefully some changes this week or next.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts