New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The rut also known as the breeding time is what I look forward to all year. These two weeks begins in Zone 10 about mid November and is when the bucks start really smelling the love and start breeding does. This time of the year these couple weeks Zone 10 is what most hunters long for, not me though (please refer to Part 4) yet it is the toughest time to kill a big deer. These big bucks become very unpredictable and you really don't no where they are going to show up and its really a crap shoot that they will come in front of your stand. The big rutting swollen necks bucks movements are almost totally controlled by their desire to mate with an estrus doe.

For the hunter hunting on foot, it can be tough. For the hunter in stand it can also be tough or it's luck or if you know and have scouted you can be rewarded. The does still remain fairly predictable, but don’t expect to see bucks actively working does in the middle of fields. They would much rather go and get them in the heavy cover adjacent to the feeding fields and take them to a nice heavy thick location to breed. Just like us under the covers and the lights out. LOL

My favorite technique during the the heavy rut is to hunt off the open fields and heavy trees. I like slowly walking the the hedge rows that gives me a good view of the fields and woods. It’s not very scientific, it's not rocket science, i'm no smarter than the other guy ,but the bucks are moving so much during this period, that by literally just putting in loads of time in their home range, I feel you will eventually run into them. This is an all day deal here as the bucks will be moving throughout the day chasing what I call "LOVE IS IN THE AIR"

I will touch on POST RUT next...Thanks to all the PM's encouraging me to write my posts.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
9,817 Posts
so let me get this straight.... You are preaching whitetail wisdom when you yourself admitted that yu never shot a trophy whitetail...Correct? The only picture I ever saw in relation to you was the half rotten, ungutted 7 point in the back of the truck that your girl got.
Have you ever shot a deer?

·
Registered
3,269 Posts
so let me get this straight.... You are preaching whitetail wisdom when you yourself admitted that yu never shot a trophy whitetail...Correct? The only picture I ever saw in relation to you was the half rotten, ungutted 7 point in the back of the truck that your girl got.
May we please see the picture of the 7-Pointer again[hihi]

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.