New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is about the rut in mid October Zone 10, if you have been in the woods in September and early October you would have noticed that rubs were harder to find. I've sometime even wondered if there was even any bucks in my hunting area.

But now in mid OCTOBER these rubs are showing up in more and more places. Now these bucks are getting very aggressive and they are polishing up their fighting skills on trees and saplings. What they is also doing and most important thing they is doing is they are marking their territory. Now it's getting good, more rubs in the area. When you find a bunch of rubs in a small area this is good because it means you know that the buck spends lots of time in that area marking his territory, and they are telling the smaller deer in the area this is my territory and my home.

You are gonna see scrapes showing up. Scrapes begin to appear when bucks become interested in the love scent of the does. I always say "LOVE IS IN THE AIR" ..The larger and more active scrapes also means that the big buck is more likely to return to them. In the middle of October in Zone 10 I really like to use my deer calls and get some good responses. I can use my doe call or my buck call grunt. You have to be carefull about using a trophy buck grunt call. Sometimes I find this scares some of the smaller bucks away, but sometime it also attracts them because they want to see who else is around. The best scenerio is you call in the big buck that is making the scrapes and rubs.

I will continue part 4 tomorrow late afternoon because I have something going on early tomorrow. 
Good Luck

·
Registered
6,576 Posts
Ok, I think I got it; I don't want to use my trophy buck grunt deer sound vocalization all, only sometimes because it can maybe sometimes bring in small bucks if it doesn't scare them?

And when they is rubbing a lot on the scrapes, this puts love is in the air from the love scent of the does and a big buck is gonna spend a lot of time in the area, close to his area, his home ?

Um, just curious, how loud do i yell "love is in the air" when they is around ? Do I do this in conjunction with buck sound grunt calling to get good responses ?

·
Registered
431 Posts
I used a dominant buck call sound grunt earlier in the season and must have scared all the bucks away. This was about a month ago. What do I do now to get all the bucks back? Should I try a rabbit in distress call sounder or perhaps try my elk bugler?

·
Registered
21,477 Posts
Turkeywing = the true zone 10 rut master and legend in his own mind [down]

Did you even kill a deer at all [confused] or did you just spend the whole season sitting in your pick up truck glassing the deer in the fields and typing your useless rut advice on NJH [eyeroll]

·
Registered
6,576 Posts
One thing is for sure, the rut is FAR from over. I went out to shoot a Doe yesterday morning, which I did.(with a BOW). Plenty if rutting activity. Non pregnant appearing does had tarsals as black a night and the few bucks u saw were fired up. Had them right under me and I could smell that horrible musky smell as the thermals carried the odor up.

I'm gonna utilize this guys advice and hopefully bag the buck of my dreams.

·
Registered
21,477 Posts
I'm not saying turkeywing doesn't hit some points on the head, but he sounds just like my daughter's parakeet that also cheeps all damn day like he knows what he's talking about.
Sh!t sometimes he actually hits the top of the hour right on the dot, yet that sure doesn't make him the only coo-coo bird I'm talking about in this post [hihi]

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.