New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
nice site but why would someone kill a Rhino and a Lion? Not for nothing but I thought that Rhinos were endangered????

·
Registered
14,824 Posts
nice site but why would someone kill a Rhino and a Lion? Not for nothing but I thought that Rhinos were endangered????
They are only endangered where they are not allowed to be hunted. Rhino's, elephants, lions all thrive where they are valued. Hunters dollars pat for their conservation.

Don't listen to the to the anti's. They are wrong again.

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
Wow amazing pics. [up]

Those cape buff, must be scary to hunt!

I see your trophy room is awful full...I think its time you up the bar by using a bow Anthony![up]

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Congratulations! I hope to someday go to Africa. Beautiful pictures :D

why would someone kill a Rhino
Monies generated from sport hunting of these species provide much needed income for seriously impoverished areas. Ironically the same money spent to hunt the species also funds their protection from black market poaching. Things aren't always what they seem on the surface... A very common misconception!

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Agree that money spent in these areas combats poaching/etc but not sure if the killing of Rhinos versus general game hunting is the answer. Many of these impoverished areas are turning to ecotourism as the method to have the locals view wildlife as a long term resource.

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
A charging rhino or lion with a bow is tuff.
Drag, its all about the challenge man!
Oh, that and dont forget to have native guides with backup weapons. :D

Go to archerytalk.com and look up posts by Tink or AfricanBowhunter....He has taken many if not all of the african game with a bow. Same guy that makes Tink 69 doe estrous scent too.

I admit it would be scary, but I would love to hunt african game with a bow.

Ever give it any serious thought Ant?

·
Registered
14,824 Posts
Bobm,

You're missing the point. Rhino's are NOT endangered in these areas. They reproduce and are part of S. Africa's RENEWABLE Natural resources.

They also feed quite a few people.

·
Registered
6,056 Posts
Agree that money spent in these areas combats poaching/etc but not sure if the killing of Rhinos versus general game hunting is the answer. Many of these impoverished areas are turning to ecotourism as the method to have the locals view wildlife as a long term resource.
The money made from 'eco-tourism' is significantly less than what hunting generates.

In Africa - everything is utilized, from skin and bones to what we in America throw away during 'field dressing'.

Eco-tours are agood thing but fall short of the conservation mark set by liscenced game hunting.

In Kenya, the wildlife 'preservation effort' is controlled by the government. Eco-tours are the only thing you can do there. The White Rhino population in Kenya is est. 100 or less while in South Africa where hunting is legal is 100,000 and growing.

One Rhino will cost you anywhere from $20,000 and up to hunt. The fees from that one Rhino will support management and anti-poaching efforts for an entire year or more!

·
Registered
6,056 Posts
Nice pics!

[up]

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
I am not certain of the facts but I do know that most African countries are highly regulated in terms of their game resources. With any species there is only so much sustainable habitat. Drought disease and floods are constantly altering the habitat and animals. I would suspect these Governments have a pretty close watch on legal sport hunting. The paper work alone for export/import is enough to choke a horse. Maybe apmaursr could elaborate more?
I personally have no desire to shoot any pachyderm simply because I'll never be able to afford it.

·
Registered
6,056 Posts
Just goes to show you when corrupt governments take over and out-law hunting - wildlife suffers.

I'm curious about Zimbabwe - Mugabe is trouble. I don't know how long He will allow White Hunters to have concessions.

·
Registered
6,056 Posts
I went July/August 2001 - Nothern Province of RSA: about 35f in the AM and 75f in the afternoon.

We went up to Malamulele near Kruger: 40f in the am and 85 in the afternoon.

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
I included hunting within Ecotourism as hunting can/does generate significant income for locals. Again, I was just a little miffed at the guy posing with the rhino...

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Beautiful Pictures, but I'm not sure how I feel about shooting Zebra and Rhino. I'm not against it, just not something I would be into. I guess to each his own.[smirk]

·
Registered
6,056 Posts
Zebra is good eats! And the rug is nice. Also very difficult to hunt. Those stripes are incredible camo when you enter the thick stuff.

They usually herd up tight and have a tremendous sense of smell. I tried bow-hunting them. We got within about 80 yds of a herd of 20. They caught wind and stampeded away.
Also very dangerous if you wound one.

I eventually bagged my zebra with rifle (.308 win) at 120 yds.
Prior to getting the 'clean-shot', the herd would shift around, rarely staying still. Always cautious of what was behind my target; a p [no swearing please] through would have been a disaster.

So you lay low and keep your breathing slow, mindful of the wind, keeping an eye on the stallion. The ticks decided to feast on me at this point. It got a little 'buggy' in the mopane and sticker bushes where my PH and I hid. I had noticed a rock python in the vicinity a day earlier and that thought goes through your head.

With the trunk of a tree as a rest and confidence that you have shot 1" groups out to 150 yards days earlier, you still pray that you will pull off a good shot.

I followed the zebra in the scope as he wandered from the edge of the herd. He was brown in color aside from the obvious black and white. Unusual but my PH assured me that the coloration must be from rolling in the dirt. The blesbuck and impala made it more difficult as they were passing in and out of the sight picture. The crosshairs rested on the curve of his scapula - the crease delineating a leg-breaker from a vital shot.
A few quick exhails - the trigger beaks and the herd storms away from the sound. I continue to watch in the scope as the stallion tries to join the herd. He is tlting and swaying as I cycled another round - "great shot... he's going down... He's Down!" My PH was patting me on the back almost pulling me off the ground in his excitement.

It was a heart shot. The bullet fragmented and all that was left was the red ballistic tip. We ate the 'filet' of the zebra which was incredible!

Now I have this zebra rug on my wall that is definitely tan in color! A memorable hunt.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts