New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is only my second season hunting and first time hunting Z19. I found what i believe is a decent spot but I'm having one issue.. There has only been bucks! 3 different ones actually. I attached pictures. The one only came around during the day 1 time.. the other 2 are 1130pm-4am... Is this not a great spot? apparently I'm nowhere near the bedding area I assume? any advice would be great. Thank you

Attachments

·
Registered
431 Posts
You're going to have to scout the property more to come to any conclusion. Right now, are you on any heavy trails or near a food source? Early season you want to be near the food sources and try to peg the buck feeding times. This time of year is when they are most predictable. Later on in the season you need to find one thing....does. Find where they are and you'll find where the bucks will be early November.

·
Banned
5,841 Posts
During the RUT any spot can be a good spot for a buck like this or there might be some bigger ones then that will show up .Find the does and the bucks will follow in November .:fudd:

·
Registered
6,562 Posts
Keep the camera running and see if anything change in the next 2 weeks. Their patterns start to change when shedding the velvet and from more people in the woods.

·
Banned
8,451 Posts
You in state land in 19 or posted is there acorns on the ground yet? I haven't been in the pines yet but usually whenever there's acorns on them dirt roads there's alot of deer tracks and believe me you don't have to go to far off the roads or fire paths if your on state land them does zoom right on them acorns

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies everyone. To answer some of your questions, no acorns don't seem to have fallen much but there is a mix of pines and oaks. It's state land where I'm hunting. I don't want to scout much more being as the season starts next week. I've been pretty good about not spending too much time back there. I guess we'll see what happens! It bothers me that I don't see any does just bucks since I have to open the season with a doe

·
Registered
633 Posts
It looks like you put some time into your spot already. I would give it a chance, If your off the "beaten path" on state land. The deer will go where they feel safest. There is a lot of food out there now so be patient. If that land gets hit hard this weekend ,your spot might become active. I see you have apples and looks like corn, I would just be very careful coming and going to your stand because if you keep scaring them off they will become more nocturnal. Acorns are few and far between, they have been falling for a month now. If you could find any acorns that would be another option. Good Luck!

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You're going to have to scout the property more to come to any conclusion. Right now, are you on any heavy trails or near a food source? Early season you want to be near the food sources and try to peg the buck feeding times. This time of year is when they are most predictable. Later on in the season you need to find one thing....does. Find where they are and you'll find where the bucks will be early November.
I'm not "near" a food source. There is water and a farm much further into the woods. I've put time into this spot so I'm going to give it a go. Leaving it alone until next week.

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
1 - 12 of 12 Posts