New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I didn't put in a lottery entry for my oldest son, who has since passed his Hunter Ed and gotten his youth license. He's now expressed interest in hunting turkey this spring. If we can hunt the early season for him, I can practice my calling, and his chances of getting his first bird are better now before the adults hit the woods.

If I go to the Central Region office at Assunpink tomorrow, can I get him a youth turkey permit over-the counter?

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
Youth, over the counter are always available. Youth tags are not counted in with the number of permits alloted for each zone.

After they kill a bird however if you want another tag, you can only pick-up a tag for whatever zone and week is available.

For example, if they kill a bird on Youth Day and they want to hunt again in the season, they'll only be able to hunt the zone and week that is available.

·
Registered
10,637 Posts
I think you still need to be with the youth hunter while he/she is hunting and you must have a valid permit for that zone/week in your posession. I may be wrong, but you should check the regs to be sure. That's how it is with deer youth day at least

·
Registered
7,170 Posts
you need to be a licensed hunter but you dont need to have a permit.
This is correct. As long as you and the youth hunter are licensed, only the youth hunter is required to have the turkey permit. Moreover, the youth permit is good on youth day, and every week of the season until the youth bag's a bird. After the youth bird is down, the youth is a regular hunter and must by permits in the lottery or OTC leftovers

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.