New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
10,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey fellas, this years youth day pheasant hunt will be held October 31st. Me and Attila go every year and have a great time. These kids who come out to this are some of the best behaved kids I've ever come across.

If you have a bird dog and want to help out you can find an application card in this years Hunting regs mag. I just mailed out mine today for Whittingham![up]

·
Registered
10,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, I think they do, but I always send it in via the card in the Magazine.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
I am going to apply now, don't mind providing a guided dog hunt for the kids at all.

·
Registered
9,204 Posts
[up] to you guys donating your time and dogs to this event! Some day I hope to have a dog worthy of such a detail..

·
Registered
7,283 Posts
Didn't register last year but took a couple of kids out that day. Lots of fun.

·
Banned
5,494 Posts
Last year was my first time as a handler. They teamed me up with another handler that had a flushing dog, and i have a pointer. He did youth day a few times so he took the lead. I didn't like the way he ran it, but it was ok and we got the job done.

This year i hope i'm not teamed up with anyone and i can run the show on my own. Or i may even see if my brother will sign up and we can run it together.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
That is something I didn't think about, I would only like to be teamed up with another pointer. as my girl is 16 months now and we have been working all summer on steadiness, to have another dog break and run(flush) would be counter productive to all of the time and training we have been doing.

We are working on steady to wing shot and fall, Right now she will break on the shot 60 percent of the time, but we clip a lead on her when we walk up and just reset her and make her do it right.
If I can get her to hold point for the shot she will hold for the fall and then get sent to retrieve, problem is she wants the retrieve so much she wants to go when the gun fires!

Ideally if I can get teamed up with a finished dog would be best, She will back and honor and it makes her rise to a higher level, It is like shooting against someone better than you, keeps you on your toes and makes you perform to keep pace.

·
Registered
309 Posts
My youngest brother is only 12 and this will be his third straight year going to the youth hunt. Down a the Millville WMA, it has always been one dog per 4 or 5 kids. He has had the same guy the last two years with a very good brit. All the kids have a turn to walk up on the point and flush and shoot. the others walk on the sides and can only shoot if the first kid misses. They go over the rules on how to approach the dog on point and the guide talks them through it the whole way. They also tell the kids how high the bird should be before a shot is taken. Seems very safe and well put together here!

I think that it is much safer for you to run your dog alone. Asking a ten year old to be wary of two dogs at once, especially if one is pointing and the other is running around flushing, is pretty intense and not the safest of scenarios.

I think that it is a great program overall and hopefully I can contribute my services next year!

·
Registered
10,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
It's run well, Only one kid per point, that is we take turns walking the youth in on a point so theres no issue on who shot what. All shot are taken in a safe direction and hunters are told to hold fire if the bird doubles back on us.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Good deal, Will see you out at the mills then. Should be a lot of fun.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts