New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7,954 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took off Monday to go hunting and had something pretty funny and unusual happen. I find my AM spot and all morning Nothing. Just at 11am I decide that I'm going to go back to the truck and have lunch. Just after I pulled my gloves and headnet off, I happen to look up and what did I see. About 50-60 yds up a doe crossing a small clearing. So I scramble to put my gear back on. By the time I'm done, the doe has already passed by.

I figure, what the heck, so I attempt to make a few fawn distress calls with no luck. At this point, I had decided to pull out the binos to see where the doe was going. So, for about 45 minutes I'm looking and scanning the area.

All of a sudden I hear a crunch right below me. Without moving too much, I glance down and just happen to have a doe below. Because of the wet and soft ground, I didn't hear her come in. Naturally, I try to put down my binos and grab my bow without making a single noise. Of course as luck would have it, by the time I've got my release hooked up, she had made her way behind some brush. At this point I'm thinking that this is good because the trail goes to the left and I'm figuring she'll present a shot if she follows the trail. Instead, she cuts across the clearing and goes up the little hill and beds down.

At this point, I don't know what to do, so I put the bow down and take a seat. Every now and then I gl [no swearing please] the area to see her there. Well, the last time as I'm picking up the binos, I see her get up and run off. I'm guessing that she might have spotted me. The only thing is, she didn't snort/wheeze or make any noise other than running off.

So, my question for all of you, what would you have done if you were in my spot?

David

B

·
0 Posts
I agree I never leave my stand unless I have to, I'm way to deep in the woods. You just never know when a deer will show up, especially this time of year

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
I concur. I bring my food with me. No need to get down from the tree our out of the woods.

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
bottle to piss in
I don't worry about that. I find someone elses spot for that.

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
I used to piss in a bottle when I was younger, but since I have grown up, I have found that not many deer have paid attention to the piss smell. Hell I know guys that smoke in the woods and get 3 or 4 deer a year.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
ive had that happen to me so many times... i guess there is nothing you could really do about it. but one peice of advice i could give you is that when weather is really wet and dreary the deer move all day long. i like to stay on stand all day long on days like that..

·
Registered
876 Posts
As for peeing in a bottle, I used to do that years ago as well. I have since found that at least with my pee, the deer really don't seem to mind it.

Monday I had a small 3 pointer walk right under me, I had peed about 45 minutes before he showed up and all he did was stick his nose in the spot for a couple of minutes, I think he liked it. :D

·
Registered
7,954 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
but one peice of advice i could give you is that when weather is really wet and dreary the deer move all day long
Buckhunter,
It's funny you should say that because other than those 2 deer, I didn't see a single one all afternoon. Since you've hunted this area before, would you be up for a hunt one day? Let me know.

David

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
im up for a hunt, just let me know when..... i still need to fill my doe tag and in a hurry bc the rut will be here before we know it...

·
Registered
18,564 Posts
Just watch out for hunting around Matty. I remember one post around here where he says he takes dumps out of his stand.[smirk]:D

·
Registered
7,954 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
buckhunter,

I'll be going to Assumpink this Saturday. Send me an e-mail to discuss details if you can make it.

David

1 - 13 of 13 Posts