New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 127 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys, give your thoughts on what you feel would be best to make us all happy, and to make the herd healthier with bigger bucks

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I would like to see this: 3 points to oneside statewide, 2 bucks per hunter for the season, shotgun season 1 buck only (this is included with 2 bucks per season), 3 antlerless deer allowed all year, shotgun doe day should be antlerless deer only (the bucks had there season, they earned the right to live longer), winter bow only after the new year, no hunting after January 31st.

If an area like Medham which is overrun with deer, then allow for more antlerless deer to be taken, add more days.

Bucks need to be protected statewide

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
Wow you're fast! I blinked and this was there.:D

Heres my thoughts on how to help the deer herd, while still retaining a fun hunting experience;

*One (or two if necessary) buck(s) per hunter/per year.

*Manage the zones more precisely by using the smaller sub-zones.

*Statewide Antler Restrictions (3 pts per side)
You could even designate a few small areas (4 pts per side)(Like PA)

*Keep EAB & BAD where necessary

*Limit or deny access to areas where the deer herd needs to be increased. (this would more than likely only be necessary for about a year, deer populations explode quickly)

*Plant more crops on WMA's, huntable state lands, etc.

*Open more lands to bowhunters in areas where deer pops. are a problem.

*Decrease the safety zone for bowhunters.

*Make six-day into a two week firearm season as long as antler restrictions are in place. (one buck with three pts on one side, unless you used your buck tag already, then you can not hunt)

Im sure I'll think of more, and some of these arent soley my ideas. By collecting everyones ideas, we might be able to get a few changes made for the better.[up]

·
Registered
10,462 Posts
I disagree:
One (or two if necessary) buck(s) per hunter/per year
If I can only shoot one buck and I do it with the bow then I am done for the season.

Manage the zones more precisely by using the smaller sub-zones.
I see your point but,the zones are confusing enough as it is.

Keep EAB & BAD where necessary
All this does is wipe out deer on public land in those zones. Private land is almost uneffected.

I agree (except with the part about used the buck tag already):
*Plant more crops on WMA's, huntable state lands, etc.

*Open more lands to bowhunters in areas where deer pops. are a problem.

*Decrease the safety zone for bowhunters.

*Make six-day into a two week firearm season as long as antler restrictions are in place. (one buck with three pts on one side, unless you used your buck tag already, then you can not hunt)
Statewide Antler Restrictions (3 pts per side)
You could even designate a few small areas (4 pts per side)(Like PA)

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
I disagree:

Quote:
One (or two if necessary) buck(s) per hunter/per year

If I can only shoot one buck and I do it with the bow then I am done for the season.
Be selective, Im sure you wont shoot the big one on the first day at first light. But if you happen to, go hunt does in one of the areas that needs it.

Quote:
Manage the zones more precisely by using the smaller sub-zones.

I see your point but,the zones are confusing enough as it is.
Do you want to make it better or easier?

Quote:
Keep EAB & BAD where necessary

All this does is wipe out deer on public land in those zones. Private land is almost uneffected.
Thats another problem in and of itself. This is why you need to use the smaller sub-zones. Emphasis on "WHERE NECESSARY"

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
stop driving on public land. end the jan pshotgun the clubs drive the hell out of the deer.apr statewide.I like the 1 buck per season.Only 1 buck during gun season unless you shoot a doe(should save on the mistake shootings.)

·
Registered
6,056 Posts
*CBDM hunts are going backwards. They should be harvesting ALL deer in hunting restricted zones, ie, Monmouth County Park hunts or parks less than 50 acres. By utilizing minimal pressure in these areas - more deer will migrate towards communities where there is abundant food, cover and no threat. That is the reverse of what CBDM should do. The CBDM is thinning the herd but allowing overflow to occur season after season. CBDM is producing large bucks that cannot be hunted. These aniamls will choose the path of least resistance and live among the McMansions, protected year after year. If they venture into a CBDM area - they should be killed.

*Certain areas in CBDM should start archery only and then if quota is not reached - add a three day fire-arm hunt after the bow period. CBDM areas greater than 50 acres can have both bow and gun.

*Concurrently - Bow season should include non-eab QDM zones (there are a few but we need more).

*Also Bow only zones should be included on a seasonal rotation. Some areas get 'shot-out' due to fire-arm season. A quota system should 'rotate out' a firearm zone. If deer quota is exceeded during 6-day vs the ratio of archery deer, that zone should rotate out of fire-arm for the next season. (This should apply to certain public lands within the zone and not the entire zone depending on population density.

Archery Bear and Predator tags as a bonus during EAB.
Why not earn a bear?

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
i agree with what matty said 100% . the only thing i think i would do different is make it a deffinate 2 buck bag limit one with the bow and one with the firearm

·
11,226 Posts
2 buck tags that can be used in any season. Two bow, Two ML, Two Shotgun but two bucks total for the year!....Get rid of the early firearm doe days! They make no sense! Get rig of the Muzzy season! A muzzy is a firearm and it should be treated the same as a shotgun! You can choose to use it during the FIREARM seasons! Smaller zones with less doe takes where needed and more in others....Reduce the no-hunt zones for bow hunting! I'm not a big fan of antler restrictions but if they do it they need to do it state wide! Not just a couple of zones!

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
I believe we should antler restrictions like some of the guys mentioned already, say 3 points to a side or a 4 point or better rule.

Also, doe harvest should be similar to NY, where the permits are zone specific. In other words an area like Mendham were there are alot of deer you would issues more permits based on deer densities, but then an area like Old Bridge/East Brunswick where densities are lower, either issue few permits or close out the doe harvest altogether for a time.

This year in NY they had a few areas that they closed to low deer densities, and the sportsman agreed with the decision.

Also limits to actual harvest per season. Do away with all deer hunting after Dec. 31st, but allow us to hunt on Sundays.

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
1. Statewide QDM (3pts on one side)
2. Eliminate the Jan/Feb shotgun replace with Bow only.
3. Allow either-sex for a 10 day firearm (with permits for either-sex if wanted)
4. More hunter access in county parks/suburban zones.
5. Reduce buck take to 1 bow/1 ML/1 shotgun (3)

It's all about money for the state so you need to think in terms of revenue.

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
Instituting Antler Restrictions will do no good. When the clubs are driving they will shoot anything with horns, if it doesn't have enough points, it will lay. I have seen them kill antlerless deer and let them there. Walk thru a section of woods after 6 day and the drives, see if you don't find at least one doe left. I have no problem with the way the seasons and bag limits are structured now. Don't try to fix what ain broke.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Don't try to fix what ain broke
it is broken, and needs to be fix. Not sure how many years you have hunted here in NJ, but if you have many many years like me, then you can remember how the herds roamed the woods of this state. I do agree about the drives, and how the clubs kill at will

·
Registered
10,211 Posts
Things do change Bowhuntercop we have lost a great deal of habitat since "the good old days" the state can do only so much in regards to over abundance of deer in suburban areas. If hunters can't get to the deer in these areas there is not A whole lot that can be done. These areas become safe zones. so they put the regs zone wide and it only affects public lands. you know as well as I do that getting good private land to hunt is getting harder to find. costs are getting higher. And more and more land owners Are just not letting folks hunt on thier lands anymore.

·
Registered
301 Posts
my 2 cents:
1. 3 points per side statewide
2. increase buck season to 2 weeks, 1 buck limit
3. institute a big game license separate from small game that would allow for bow and muzz stamps with 2 buck tags 1 bow,1 firearm
4. all doe permits back to draw by zone and useable during any open season
5. bonus buck tag after harvesting a specific number of does

·
Premium Member
13,661 Posts
Someone (like Matty) should compile a list that 95% us can agree on. I'll then whip someone up for all of us to easily send to F&W.

Heck... maybe one of us should read our "requests" during public comment of the game code?

What do you think?

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
Here are mine...

1. allow Sunday hunting!

2. allow hunting down (bow for gun season)

3. 2 bucks only per year* (1 buck must be 3 pts or better) This should help the 1st timers still get a buck, or help with the gun season brown and downers.
Button bucks count as BUCKS!

4. *Winter Bow 1 buck only 3 pts or better. 1 Doe only where management requires. I was thinking of buck only for winter, the does should be pregnant at this time and left alone, the bucks have done their job for the year, the doe's job is just beginning.

5. Early Bow Zones,(Sept-Oct 1st) no EAB, but have unlimited doe harvest where needed. Doe's job is done at this point as the fawns can survive.

6. For the rest of the seasons, sell doe permits ($10??) for each zone instead of 1 permit shoot as many as you like. This way if you still need meat in the freezer after early bow, you can shoot some does.

1 - 20 of 127 Posts