New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You need more south jersey members. I live in Salem county. Along the bay coast there are plenty of acres to hunt and not that many hunters. Mostly out of stater for waterfowl.

Till our trails cross,

WW

·
Registered
5,232 Posts
You need more south jersey members. I live in Salem county. Along the bay coast there are plenty of acres to hunt and not that many hunters. Mostly out of stater for waterfowl.
I dont agree with this statement. When I lived in NJ, my father and I hunted primarily in Salem Co. I even got an out of state licence after I moved away. But, I quit hunting in Salem Co. because of too many hunters, esp on weekends. If you have some private plots, you cant beat the area! But, if you are on public ground, its pretty crowded, despite all the acres of land.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
DM I've talked to you before on other nets. I can take you on any give day opening or not. Where there will be game and no hunters. Everybody is entitled to thier opinions but, I'd have to say "the gl [no swearing please] is half empty" in your thoughts. Perfect example: On another post in hunting.net you said deer drivers push to many deer away from your dad. I bet I could take you out in any marsh(meadow here) and get you so spun around you couldn't find your way out. My grandfather used to drop me of at the access ramp by the nuke. Closed because of 9-11. And pick me up at Gales ramp at money island. The 14' johnboat would be loaded with crabs, weakfish, and soda cans. I was only 14. I'm now 34. I take the local bigshots out and they can believe the spots that they thought they knew. You live in DE I'm a union carpenter out of local 626 DE. I've hunted some great spots from Chincoteague,VA to Caribou, ME and the outdoors is what I do..... I work 10 hour days come home eat, load my Yamaha grizzly with 4 or 5 beagles, a 6 pack and run them. Every Tuesday, Friday and Sunday. They run better at night. I scout everyday even if its 5 in the morning. Spotting deer see rabbits, fox, etc. Goes into a notebook. Come back during that season. There is state land that the diamonds have been ripped away. And most lazy a$$ people don't go very far from their vehicles. Or they leave at 9am. They hunt to call themselves hunter but are not. They are sitters.

Till our trails cross,

WW

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dragthor (Kris) give me a call. 856-275-6907 This spring and I'll show you some land that will make you pi$$ your pants. Right here in NJ. If you'd like to go on a remote hunt in ME in the fall. Give me a ring. It won't cost you nothing but your expenses. NO frills stay in a tent in the snow. My 10 yr old did last year. I go with a guy that is 60 and has self guided himself and others all over the country including AK Moose, bear, elk,etc. My cousin has also done the self guided thing and has harvest to citation cougars in Idaho with a pistol and dogs. We are all working cl [no swearing please] men that could out hunt Bill Jordan and his clan or any others for that matter. We keep it simple. We research our game and apply it in the field.

Till our trails cross,

WW

·
Registered
5,232 Posts
My grandfather used to drop me of at the access ramp by the nuke.
Me too man. It is easy to get twisted around out there isnt it?? But, with all the people pushin the uplands hard, its a great place to squat for deer. I used to be amazed how far they would travel back in there from the fields. But, i guess if my life was at stake, i'd do the same thing.

You mentioned the Driving issue on WMAs. Listen, you sound like an OK guy so i'm not going to argue with you. Lets just say we differ on some issues. Since I'm no longer an a resident, I really have no say with politicians when it comes to your regs. So, i'm not threat to your hunting way of life. If you'd like start a seperate thread to debate why NJ WMA free to roam land access is better than Delaware's more regulated Land access, i'd be glad to discuss it. As for this thread, I still think that Salem Co. has more than enough hunters for the land it has.

Man I do miss the smell of the Mad Horse Swamp in the morning! :D

Duckmastor2

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Both my chocolate labs love it to. The wife well she deals with it. As long as I take them to the barn and wash them off. Hunter my 7 year old male is a tank in the mud. But, Kaluha my female is smaller and just skims acrossed the muck. We'll have to get together I'll take your dad to a spot where he can shoot a monster buck during the 6-day. I've got a spot at game creek, mad horse, cohansey and bayside all have to be accessed by boat. I've kill 2 nice bucks in these spots.172lbs 10pt. 156lbs 8 pt.and a few others in the 140lbs range. Its harder hunting but, anything trophy is worth it. I'm young now 34, so it isn't that bad yet. At least I've got my boy in training.LOL to carry me in and out.LOL My step-son is in Coast Guard bootcamp now. So he can come save us when we get stuck on a blow out tide.LMAO This what happen to him a Dix. He called me at 8pm one nite scared to death. What to do. Wait for the tide, young man. I have a boat not a helicopter. Where do you hunt your birds in Delaware. I build sneakboxes and I know DE frowns on them. Also, do you know John at Shooter Supply. My buddy's family owns the building.

Till our trails cross,

WW

·
Registered
5,232 Posts
all have to be accessed by boat. I've kill 2 nice bucks in these spots.172lbs 10pt. 156lbs 8 pt.and a few others in the 140lbs range
I bet that was a fun drag! :D

Im 35 so we are pretty much the same age. I have some 'hard' hunting left in me, but man I dont miss that mud! I hunt down the the Smryna area in DE. My father and I lease a Pit for geese on a farm right by Bombay Hook and I lease a small patch of woods for deer by Woodland Beach. I also Hunt Woodland Beach WMA for deer with bow and gun. Woodland went with quality deer regs last year and that helped really reduce the crowds after the 1st week of bow. Its a shame. It seems that for some people, if its not 'Anything Goes', they're not interested. Oh well, more room for me! :p

We didnt do well on deer last year despite a record amount of time in the woods. Got 1 shot all year. 12/31 with my bow. Made a bad shot, so no deer. Thats the way it goes sometimes. Thats why its hunting.

I dont know John personnaly, but I met him at the NCco Anterless Deer Meeting they had at Ommelanden Range last Summer. Seemed like an OK guy. We agreed that we thought the Antleress Herd Reduction effort in October was a bad idea anyhow. Not like it did any good. I wonder what the kill ended up being? [confused]

If there's time next season, maybe we can hook up for a hunt. Have a good 'off season', if there is such a thing. Bring on the Turkeys!

·
Registered
6,890 Posts
I have to agree with duckmastor on this one. The WMA's in Salem County, and Cumberland County too, are overhunted. In the last few years, people seem to have caught on to the idea of going during the week, so in many spots, it's crowded during the week as well as the busy weekend day of Saturday. People get territorial, bait piles are EVERYWHERE, and alot of feelings get hurt. It's becoming very confrontational (as far as deer hunting) on public land in South Jersey. Takes the fun right out of it.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I hunt Mad horse, Gum tree corner, Salem River, Thundergut, and on occasion Abott meadow and even though I've seen other hunters. I haven't had any problems. I got a few sweet spots during the 6-day firearm. Man they would were their selves out getting to me. I do have aproblem with the guys who deer hunt only. They get mad when you hunt other game and their deer hunting. I don't mind if a man runs his hounds by my stand. I watched deer looking at the dogs on an edge one morning. As soon as the dogs/hunter passed, the deer walked right to where I was perched. Not a shooter, but a deer just the same. We are so close here in the garden state that the deer get used to us, somewhat. Maine you couldn't get a way with half the stuff we do. Fresher not human polluted air, and noise there gone. It isn't going to get better. Less land!

Till our trails cross,

WW

·
Registered
6,890 Posts
Ryan, I frequent Thundergut (very overhunted in my opinion), and Salem River, as well as Gum Tree Corner. Salem River doesn't have a lot of woods to hunt, and gets hammered by small game and bird hunters, so the deer hunting there is really sub-par. Gum Tree Corner also has very little woods, mostly marsh. There was some decent sign last time I was there, but tree stands every 30 yards. Alot of trash too, looked like a mess. I hunted it hard for a few years, saw only 3 deer, and plenty of hunters.

Of the three WMA's, I would say Gum Tree gets the least amount of pressure, and Thundergut really gets hammered. I don't know when you go there because every time I'm there, it is very CROWDED. Most of the deer are pushed off the property and onto surrounding lands.

I've heard Mad Horse isn't too bad just because of it's sheer size, but again, most of it is marsh. It's just too easy to lose a bowshot deer in the mud down there. But I'm sure the waterfowl hunting is great.

The places you listed are much more suited to rabbit and bird hunting than deer, except Thundergut, and that place isn't suited to much of any type of hunting, unless you do it with a spotlight. Drive around that piece at night and you will see the deer come back in from across the road to make what sign you find, then leave 1 hour before first light in the morning. A few friends of mine hunt the properties across the road and can set their watches to the deer migration to and from that place. It's amazing how well the deer have adapted to the pressure on that piece, amazing, but sad for the hunters who have to hunt there and not the private land around it.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Get with me on any given day and I can take you to these WMA,s and show you the real potential. I don't want to put you down, but I don't think you know the properties, like I do. I'll be going to my taxidermist and will post 4 pics from deer that come from these grounds. A monster double drop tine 10pt. plus a few 140 cl [no swearing please] 8pt. There is a piece of gum tree that I doubt you even know is there. As for trash I never seen any at Gum tree where I go. Salem River has 10 different pieces 4 get hammered 2 are all most invisible. I missed a monster in the meadow at Salem River with my muzzleloader. Abbotts Meadow is chopped up to 2 spots get hammered, but like I said. Most people don't know how to find the grounds on the maps. I would be willing to bet 8 of 10 don't know the grounds or boundries. I'm a quailified surveyor through my union (carpenters) I can hit the nail on the head when it come to layout. I can read the maps quite well. I'm also a certified navagtions controller, through the Northeast Bush Camps. A 12 week survival school in Allagash region, Maine. Our little 3000 acre wma here are like back yards compared to up there. Me and 5 buddies have a book coming out on the public lands in NJ. I shouldn't do it but, I will assist any member in person with a complete scouting trip of any WMA in NJ. My time is limited in might not be next week, but we can make plans to do it before 2005 bow season. Hows that sound fair enough. I'll take boat, canoe, or hike. I feel that every hunter should know the grounds.

Till our trails cross,

WW

·
Registered
6,890 Posts
I'll be going to my taxidermist and will post 4 pics from deer that come from these grounds.
I know a lot of hunters who kill big deer, then lie and say they killed them on public land just to hide their honey hole. If you didn't see it come from those WMA's, be a little skeptical. I know there are a few big deer in the marshes, but they normally die of old age because they can't be gotten to in daylight.

I don't want to put you down, but I don't think you know the properties, like I do.
Ryan, I was allowed to hunt Thundergut before it was even a WMA, I know it very well. I realize the state has added some land to Gum Tree, and maybe there is a new piece added since I was there last, but what was there, was very little woods and a bunch of tree stands. As for Salem River, been to most of those little sections since day-one as public land, I know how hard they get hit, but since I didn't hunt there too much this year, maybe everyone else left too and I just didn't see that. I'll admit you probably know the marshes better than me, I don't trap, but you should also know there is plenty of pressure on those grounds too. I can't yet figure out why you make it sound like no-mans land, where a hunter has the woods and fields to him or herself. That just isn't the case.

I don't want to put you down either, but, from nearly 3 decades of experience hunting in and around the areas I mentioned, you must either be very lucky and hit those spots when everyone else has the flu, or maybe you are downplaying the reality somewhat to bolster your book sales.

Either way, I appreciate your offer and admit you could probably show me a few spots in the marshes. How conducive they are to bowhunting may be a different story, but it might be fun to try. If you spend as much time on those areas as you say, we've probably already seen each other.

By the way, what is Wild Works LLC?

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm going out with the camera and 4 wheeler now. I'll be back at 5pm eat load dogs on 4 wheeler and run till about 8-9pm I will be back on around 10pm with all the research I have done personnally on foot. Plus, I will explain WW llc. I don't mean to offend if I do well that is just me. Not a very politically correct person. I'm however very active in what I do. I work 16-/+ hours everyday. In both my full time job and my part-time passion. See ya tonite!!!

Till our trails cross,

WW

PS about the book I will explain in more detail.

·
Registered
6,890 Posts
maybe you are downplaying the reality somewhat to bolster your book sales.
Ryan, I apologise for that remark. I didn't mean it to be mean-spirited, but when I came back and read this again, it does come across like that. I tried to edit it out, but can't seem to find the edit feature.

Whatever the case, it seems like our prespective on just what constitutes heavy hunting pressure is different. We'll just have to agree to disagree on this one.

·
Registered
5,232 Posts
Whatever the case, it seems like our prespective on just what constitutes heavy hunting pressure is different. We'll just have to agree to disagree on this one
Ask him about deer drives on WMA's :p:p:p:D:D:D

The man sounds like a Die Hard and has offered to share his knowledge. Cant argue with that!

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hello Outdoorsmen,
No offenses taken. I'm not trying to sound like a know it all. I just research, practice, scout, and spent tons of time doing something that, I love. It is a lifestyle. There is no questioning what it is that I'm doing. It's outdoor/sportsman related.

First, let me explain a little about me. I started Wild Works LLC. as a hobby based company. I do so many outdoor activities that I realized that I should start a company. Yes, not out of greed but neccessity started this company. I'm a freelance/independent company.

1) Trapping: Yearly income about $2000.00 (Nov-Mar)
Expenses about $1000.00 (gas, log books, trap maintence, lure, bait and misc. gear.)
2) Outdoor Writing: Yearly income about $3600.00 (All season long) Expenses about $2000.00 ( travel, camp registery fee, log books, computer, mail, research, and misc. gear)
3) Outdoor Photography: Yearly income $1200.00
Expenses about $1000.00 (film, developing, gear, and shipping)
4) Duckboats and Blinds: Yearly income $7000.00
Expenses around $3000.00 (material, power, etc)
5) Dogs: About $1200.00 yearly Expenses around $1500.00 ( vet, training, food and water)
6) Foodplot and Habitat Construction: Yearly income $3000.00 Expenses $1200.00 (equipment, fuel, travel and misc.)
7) Guiding: Yearly income about $4000.00 Expenses $2500.00 (Boat maintence, vehicle maintence, decoys, blinds, scouting travel, calls, and numerous other gadgets/gear)

Gross about $22,000 per year.
Expenses about $12200 per year.
Leaves about $10,000 per year divide by $800 (weekly salary) equals 12.5 weeks off per year. Plus tax breaks on everything I purchase for my lifestlye. If you have any questions to what is that I do please feel free to ask. I might have an answer or have the research in my files.

Till our trails cross,

WW

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Next...
About the WMA that you have in question. I have over 200 log books filled with info on all the WMAs and stateland in NJ. You may know a piece better then me. But, I can say I have personally hunted, fished, and trapped everyone that was legal to do so. I have my favorites, one that are close, and one that are way back on my list. Size has know favor to me. I hunt areas based on what they provide.

Let's look at Mad Horse first. It is a huge piece of land. 9,345 acres of meadow(salt-marsh), bordered with patches of woodlots, hedgerows, foxtail(phragmites)beds, and fields. It is stocked with pheasant. Has it share of deer and waterfowl hunters. This is how I hunt it.
1) Deer: Archery season; I hunt from a tree sling and climbing boots. Very mobile and less weight. The most comfortable stand if going to be there less then 3 hours. Look at topo or ariel maps I hunt right on the southeastern edge of Soulter Creek and Northeast of Patty's Fork. I go in by foot. Gps #n39.27.950xw75.27.900 thats the patty fork spot give or take a couple yards.
2) Deer: gun season(shotgun/muzzleloader); I go by canoe! I figure all the pressure/drives and road traffic pushes them more then the pheasant hunters do a few weeks earlier. I put over at one of two places. First, at the access road bend dirt road creek. Probably around 5:30 am opening morning. This creek is a feeder to pattys fork. I paddle about 500 yds total where pull ashore and walk about 100-200 feet up in the foxtail hedgerow. Ground hunt. This is where I've seen a few monsters. Not a diehard, not much effort. I've seen guys use more energy getting their boat on a trailer at a ramp. Paddling is easy, canoe make like a truck getting game out. People who shoot deer in the back of the field along the access plant road have farther to drag thier deer. My total step 20 with canoe to creek and another 50 to 100 off the creek edge. To get there from the road, you'd wear your self out and spook all the deer. I let the other hunter work in my favor. I have plenty more info and not the time tonite. Remember, I have 200+ logbooks filled with info. It took 5 of us over 5+ years of hard scouting/hunting/trapping/fishing to get this. Feel free to get back to me with any feedback. Feedback is good. I'll keep posting info as I feel helpful.

Till our trails cross,

WW

PS I have a nice blind reeded and ready to hunt ducks at N39.27.165 x W75.28.279 check it out. Remember east is least and north is more on your GPS!!!

·
Registered
20 Posts
wild work.

Do you know anything about some of the WMA's in Atlantic County? Hammonton Creek or Makepeace? Pretty large parcels with plenty of hiding spots. The gun clubs hammer some of it. I duck hunted with a friend this past season on opening day at Madhorse WMA. The ramp was lined up 30 deep with trucks when we got there at 3:00 a.m. Most trucks had Delaware license plates. When it got light I thought I was in a war zone. Bad place to be that day if you were a teal. We hunted there the following Monday and there were still a ton of guys.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yes, their are a ton of people at Mad Horse the first season. Mostly out of staters. Come second season or when it gets cold nobody. Thier are alot of fair weather hunters from all over.

Yes, I have hunted Makepeace Lake WMA. It is a good spot for late season Canada Geese. Not as many as the Delaware River/Bay area, but the late season zone puts Makepeace in the center. I'd have to go to the log books to find out what info I have on both these WMAs. I did some bunny hunting last year at Hammonton. Nice place different and large. I will post later on the info I can give out.

Till our trails cross,

WW

1 - 20 of 20 Posts