New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
7,954 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went out yesterday and didn't see anything in the am. For my pm hunt, I went back to the same spot where I got my first bow deer. Here's what happened:

Got to my tree around 2:30pm and setup my climber. I walked around my stand in a circle ~ 20 yds radius, using boot scent pads with Tinks 69 on them. I hung 4 scent wicks behind me as the wind was blowing from my backside. And then got settled in the tree at 3pm.

About 45 min later I hear something coming from the trail behind and to the right of me. It's a small doe. She gets to ~ 30 yds from me and then makes a 180 and goes back the way she came in. I'm thinking she smelled the scent and it spooked her. Naturally, I'm pissed as I'm figuring I wrecked my area scenting it. So now I'm kind of ticked and waiting.

About 45 mins later I hear another sound from the same spot as before. I slowly turn and see a good sized deer. Mind you, at this point, I had taken off my right glove and had my hand in a ziplock back in my backpack as I was just going to take my allergy medication. I almost blew it, the ziplock was crinkling. I dropped what I was doing and slowly but quickly put my glove back on. Stood up, grabbed the bow, and hooked my release. At this point I notice it's a buck. My heart's racing so fast I couldn't count the points, but I'm figuring he's a 5 or 6 pt. He gets to about 25 yds from me and I don't have a shot yet. He then turns and makes a 180 like the doe. Now I'm really pissed as I'm thinking the scent spooked him. I wait a minute or two and then decide to see if I can call him back. I make 3 soft doe grunts... and would you believe, it worked. He came hustling right back.

Now the whole time he's been nervously eating. He finally starts getting to where I can shoot. He walks quickly through the spot I was going to shoot, and I'm at full draw. He ends up behind some small trees, and comes to a halt. I decide to let down. At this point, I need him to walk 3-4 yds ahead for a clear shot ~ 20 yds. Of course, what does he do? He turns around and starts walking to my right and going towards the trail to the creek. He finally stops quartering away ~ 23 yds away, so I figure this is my only shot. I draw back, pick my spot, and let her fly. I don't see him kick or anything. He just bolted down the hill and towards the creek. Seconds later I hear crashing. I can't see if he's fallen or if he just was busting through stuff. I wait almost an hour and then go looking.

I get to the spot I shot him and can't find my arrow. I'm looking everywhere. So I decide to just follow the trail and look for him. I see his tracks leading up to the creek, so I cross. At this point the trail ends. No blood, no prints, nothing. I decide to make a left, by some luck or divine intervention, and find my deer just past another finger of the creek.

Sorry so long, but I hope you found it enjoyable. Here's some pics of the big boy. I hope he's big enough for some [smirk] of you :D

David

·
Super Moderator
7,895 Posts
Congrats yoda on a nice 8pt!

You got yourself a good spot..

First buck with the bow right?[up]

·
Registered
6,056 Posts
[up]

good job - you left out the mud and rain part!

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
congrats on your first buck, sound like you were in a good spot.. if you shot that deer in assumpink yesterday,i could have helped you drag that thing out of there, as i was hunting there to.. saw a lone doe in the morning a bit to far out.

·
Registered
7,954 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks all. As pla930 eluded to, as I went to get him, it was pouring like crazy, and as I was field dressing him I was sliding in the mud. It made for an interesting time.

Drag,
Nice deer congrats. What a beauty! BTW... ha ha mines bigger!!! :D Just kidding.

David

·
Registered
7,954 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ian,

If that's an offer, I'll take you up on that anytime. Of course, I'll need to get my PA license [confused].

Yeah, I was having some issues with the bow and brought it to Sportsman's Center since: 1) Too late to have Matty to do it, and 2) I bought the bow there so they usually do the service for minimal fee if any. I'm sure it can be tweaked though.

David

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
Of course, I'll need to get my PA license
Hurry up and get it, I will be hunting this there this weekend and the next 2 after that. Its getting good, last night I hunted in Pa and I saw about 20 rubs in a 20 yard area!!!! Big trees too!!!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts