New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well the hunt I wrote about yesterday didn't go exactly as planned. My buddy, rookie, who I was going to be hunting with backed out at about 3:00 am, he gave me some excuses, but I think he was starting to get tired. Anyways, that meant I got to grab my bow and still hunt with my other pal. I set him up in one of our stands over a bait pile and I set up about 500 yards away in a ground blind overlooking a heavily used hardwood flat. My friend (who is going to be a good hunter one day because of his love of the sport and inability to get frustrated over not taking a shot yet and rrely seeing deer) saw nothing once again. He must smell or move to much becuase I give him prime areas where I consistently see deer day in and out. I was in my ground bline and surounded by deer at sun up. I saw 5 does when the sun came up (could have arrowed 2 easily), but waited for a big boy to come walking by. At about 6:45 2 deer I could, but were very close, started to go at it pretty good. So I waited and about an hour later I saw what looked to be a 6 or an 8 come out of the real thick stuff across the flat at about 60 yards trailing a doe that of course went slightly to my right at about 40 yards. The shot was a little to "iffy" for me to take so I let them walk. We met back at the truck at about 10 and my buddy was still in good spirits after not seeing anything. So I then went back out to a different area (like to give my spots about a 2 or 3 day break btwn. hunts) at about 2 and saw a few does, but nothing else. All in all a good day in the woods and I'll be out tonight and tomorrow once again. I just gotta get this guy a deer. He must have some BO that scentblocker is just not ready for. LOL

G

·
The number #1 rule in hunting whitetails or anygame is scent control. Ask him if he washes his camo in scent free soaps, and if he showers before heading out in hunters shower soap...You can use all the sex scents, cover scents they smell you, they are gone

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh of course. If you dont wash yourself and your clothes thouroghly in sent eliminators you're never going to see anything, but I've given him detergents, soaps, shampoos, coverscents, etc. That was the first thing I taught him. I think he must move too much or something, maybe he is unlucky. But he certainly knows the fundamentals, I made sure of that from day one.

G

·
Wrong... It's "Play the Wind" Thats the #1 rule in hunting
how can one play the wind, when the wind can shift on you at anytime? playing the wind is the one of the biggest myths going in hunting, cause you have no control of it Thats why you must be as scent free as you can

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I agree with BHC on this one. Especially when using scents during the rut I find that deer typically circle around to put the wind in their favor when approaching anything like that. If you put every effort into eliminating your scent you should be OK.

·
Registered
16,174 Posts
I find that alot of time the wind changes and usually picks up as the sun rises. Also if hunting along any kind of slope the thermals will kick in and cause an updraft as the air warms and vica versa.
Has nothing to do with wind, just air temps. Scent free no. 1.[up]

G

·
I just gotta get this guy a deer
I have to get my best friend a deer (archery), he hunts as hard as one can hunt. He got many deer with firearms, but just never got a archery harvest it's been 25 years since he started hunting. He sees deer, just never really given a chance while bow hunting. The day will come for him and come soon[up]

G

·
The guys that I hunt with would tell you Im so strict with myself when it comes to scent control. I always shower in scent free shower hunters shower soap before each hunt. After every hunt I wash my camo in the scent free hunters detergents, hang dry them, once dry spray them lighty with scent killer spray, then spray the inside of a clean large garbage bag, get all the air out, then seal it, same with my boots but I don't wash them. My long johns, socks, underwear, tshirt, and sweatshirts I wash in ALL detergent the scent free one it comes in the white container. I get dress with some clothes on but not all, I spray down before walking, we have an area on our way to our stand where we stop, and take a breather this where I take a piss. Once I get to my stand area, I spray down agian, then put my deer scents out, climb up the tree, once agian spray down paying attention to my face neck, & head. Thru out the day I will spray also, and I don't piss out of my stand, I bring a empty milk container to piss in. This is what works for me. Let the wind blow

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
Just my .02 cents, but playing the wind is very important, as well as being scent free. Id say they are about equal.

Although, its not impossible to kill deer while stinking like dirty socks. It can screw up a hunt.

Ive killed deer while stinking like all mighty heck though. Hunt from a camp where you cant bathe for a few days, and that'll happen.;)

So Scent free or Wind?

I say do both to the best of your ability!

Like JR said, being out there is the most important thing!;)

Sounds like you have a good study under your wing CountryBoy! Teach him what you know, and maybe sit with him a time or two. Maybe you will see him doing something wrong and can correct his mistakes. Im sure with a teacher like you, he is well on his way to a successful hunting career![up]

·
Registered
6,947 Posts
Everything the same as mentioned by BHC with me except I don't spray again at the stand and I do not spray on my face, neck, and head. I also use a ScentLok suit and haven't been busted yet this season because of scent. Once because of motion as I swung my head around not knowing a doe was 30 yards away. Of course there are deer that you never even see because they may have picked up your scent from far away so I'm speaking of the one that I have seen and that includes a spike 6 yards downwind last Saturday.[up]

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
Good points by all.

You need to be on stand at least 25' or better, I see double the deer than when I hunted at 12 to 15'

My 2 Cents

1 - 15 of 15 Posts