New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted a similiar question in the small game forum, but I am curious as well with the deer hunters. I know this will really stir a debate and it could get heated. Please, let's keep this civil.
I know everyone has different circumstances but what is everyone's personal deer limit for the year. With the liberal limits in New Jersey people are able to take 2 deer a day in some zones drom Sept. to Feb. What is your limit and why?

I'll answer first. The most deer have have taken was 2 deer, but between my dad and I we took 5 one year. The only reason we took that many was because we needed venison for our church youth group venison dinner. 2 deer would be more than enough for us to eat in one year. Plus we give some away.

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
i shoot what i can use..or if someone else wants meat....i wont shoot it then figure out what to do with it..

·
Registered
18,564 Posts
i really don't have a limit. i take the does as i need meat. i have 2 already. i have plenty of steaks now but i want to make up some jerky and kielbasa, so i'm looking to take another doe plus i need the EAB. During shotgun i just look for bucks mostly. I usually don't take more then 4 or 5 a year.

B

·
0 Posts
I think each hunter should be allowed 3,4 or 5 antlerless deer per year: 1 each for Reguler Bow, Extened Bow, Muzzleloader, Permit Shotgun I call it doe day, and Winter Bow, all bucks statewide should be 3 or 4 points to aside for all seasons. Doe Day Shotgun is only open for antlerless deer, bucks are off limits, no firearms hunting after the new year, winter bow only and it ends January 31st. For areas with a deer herd thats out of control I say let the hunters hunt, not some outside company. here I could see the hunt going into Febuary if need be. Too many deer are being harvested in the last few years, everyone can say they don't see the # of deer like they have in years past, thats because the hunters helped the state meet there goal, if the goal hasn't been met on lands with NO HUNTING ALLOWED, thats the landowners problem, keep killing off the herd and one day you may never see alot of deer

·
Registered
4,847 Posts
i think three deer a year is fine, if you need to shoot ten deer a year to feed your family then you need to get another job.this state allows to much hunting and to late in the year, there is no need to shoot deer for six months.

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
the club im in shoots everything that moves..these guys dont know how to p [no swearing please] up a deer..i have brought it up in meetings but it falls on deaf ears....i myself have never shot an antlered buck..but this year alone i passed up at least 10 bucks....8s 7s 4s but they werent what i wanted..i know i have an unfilled buck tag but big deal id rather hang that on my wall then a basket6.....and does? probably 25 does i passed up because the freezer is pretty much stocked...i shot 3 does this season ..all to fulfill my EAB...oh and just my 2 cents...the 3 point rule should definately be implemented throughout the entire state

·
Banned
1,192 Posts
I think you should take a good look at your herd,and then decide how many antlerless deer you should take.If you have a high doe to buck ratio,then you betta take some doe's.Remembert that a perfect ratio is 1 doe to 1 buck.Most areas you do not see this,so I think you should observe your area,and shoot deer accordingly.

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
the 3 point rule should definately be implemented throughout the entire state
I agree.

·
11,226 Posts
My dad and I provide meat for over 20 people. My sisters and their families and a cousin or two. We take between the 2 of us 3-6 deer a year... I like the late season days and would be against taking them away!!! They only have them in area's that need less deer!!!! In order to get the deer herd at a healthy number hunters are going to see less deer...Thats just the way it is...

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
see jim...you provide for 20 people with 3-6 people....these guys in the club will shoot 20 a year if they can....who are they feeding?

i dont understand why

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
There was a guy on my property that would shoot up to 12 deer a year himself. Why? All on the same property.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
I have 3 deer in the freezer, and have enough steaks, ground, and roasts for my wife daughter and I for most of the year. I want another fat doe for sausage etc, then if I see a nice buck, he will make for more sausage, jerkey etc. I also have had my parents (do not hunt) and my brother (may start) ask for venison, so I may take another doe if I can for them.

I agree with BHC on the antler restrictions, and will add that I think that everyone should have to contribute to EAB where necessary, not just bowhunters. Shotgun and ML should also have to take a doe before being allowed to take that 6 point or better. This would be good for the transition to get shotgunners used to looking at headgear more closely if they have to shoot a doe first.

-dan

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I think that everyone should have to contribute to EAB where necessary
I believe they have to with the shotgun and muzzleloader permits. Just not during 6 day.
why 12 (period)
Got me.

·
Registered
7,283 Posts
Last year I shot 14 deer. 12 does and 1 8 pt. 12 of those deer were shot with the bow.

This year I've not put 100% effort and only shot 7 does so far. I may get back out for winter bow but right now I'm pheasant hunting and don't have the time to bow hunt.
I will be out for at least 1 of the early doe days to try and bag a couple.

B

·
0 Posts
The so called permit days: bow, muzzleloder, & shotgun came about for 2 things:

1) added days for hunters

2) as a deer mangement tool, to control the herd

I agree with both, but I do think that during the shotgun season (some call it 6 day ok MYSTI does) it's bucks only, well I feel that during the shotgun doe days or permit days, antlerless deer should be harvested only, the bucks earned the right to live another day, and grow to be bigger next year. With taking antlerless deer only on this day or days we will control the herd better

B

·
0 Posts
Last year I shot 14 deer. 12 does and 1 8 pt. 12 of those deer were shot with the bow.

This year I've not put 100% effort and only shot 7 does so far.
may ask why kill so many? cause I can't understand why 1 hunter needs to harvest 14 deer in one season, plus your math is wrong :p

·
Banned
8,011 Posts
3 point rule, cut down the number of bucks from 6 to 4 ( 1 fall & permit bow, 1 muzzleloader, 1 6-day, 1 winter bow ) As for DOEs as many as need to help keep the herd in check ( if that means 30 DOEs, so be it )

1 - 20 of 41 Posts