New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
9,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for some info on crossbows. Never owned one. Dont know much about them. Looking in the $500- $800 price range. What crossbow are you shooting and what do you like/dislike about it. What about optics and effective distance? Noise etc?

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
My father has an older ten point elite. He really likes it. The trigger is pretty good. There is a little take up in it, but its not bad. Its not very loud, but there are quieter bows now. Its deadly accurate though. He has made 50 yard shots. I would go with any ten point. It hasnt failed him in 5 years. He is just getting it restrung this year for the first time.

·
Registered
9,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was looking at the Barnett Ghost 400 on the higher end ,also the 350 and the buck commander. I did read some reviews about problems with the strings on the 400.

·
Registered
6,519 Posts
Ten point defender...awesome bow..easy to deal with. Customer service stood tall when we had a limb bust replacing and returning it within a week during the rut.

Might be better out there...but that is a solid choice.

JC

·
Registered
946 Posts
I have one of the Excalibur bows and love it. Lifetime warranty on everything but the scope. I like that it's a recurve so there is less to go wrong. Plus I can change the string myself. It lacks an anti dry fire device, but that allows you to unlock it without having to fire a bolt. I recommend it highly.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
I have the Parker Tornado...insane weapon....fast, quiet, and quite narrow which allows you to shoot from almost anywhere...Parker customer service is amazing...you won't regret getting this bow

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
times have changed.there are companies that make hand presses for compound xbows. compound xbows like the Horton TEAM Realtree Ultralite have a hand press for changing strings in the field available at there website. the Horton Team Realtree Ultralite is super light weight (6.5 lbs.) and treestand friendly. it also has dry fire. at some point a dry fire may happen so its extra insurance.there is a company on ebay that sells dry fire units for the Excalibur xbows. it has a release lever on the top so it can be de-cocked easily but its MUCH safer to shoot the bow off at the end of a hunt. a 5 gal. plastic bucket filled and packed with towels or clothing works well as a discharge target.Excaliburs are nice and have a great warranty but are wide as most all recurve styles are. you need to get to a shop and hold a few.there are also a few models with known limb issues so do your homework.

·
Registered
14,076 Posts
Go narrow Lol and you can rest it across your climber to limit movement. Its not a weapon for shots behind your tree. Carrying weight is an issue if your carrying a climber also on a long hike. Noise, ah thats the sound of your bolt smashing a rock after it passed thru at 35 yards[wallmad]. There is no noise issue causing a deer ducking issue as they shoot too fast for the deer to react, every shot is a clean pass thru. Ten point defender, fun toy, deadly weapon and most deer fall within 30 yards. Other deer will be startled but se la vi

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
If you can, get out to your favorite shop that sells crossbows and shoot your top picks, after you shoot a few Xbows Try out a Stryker and I can almost guarantee you will go home with the Stryker. I love mine I have the 380 and couldent be happier! Its Super fast,deadly acurate,compact,and fairly quiet for a crossbow. These bows did have a few problems with limbs cracking but Bowtech has fixed the problem. I hunted alot with mine during the fall and permit season +range time and have had no problems at all.I smoked 2 deer during the permit season a buck and a doe, both deer were shot at around 15 to 20 yards and both deer went down in sight.I bought mine at Tips in west creek and they have an awesome seletion of bows to check out They have all the top brands and will let you shoot any of them. the ones I know they have are Barnetts, horton,Parker and of course the STRYKER they may have a few others also.Good luck with what ever you choose [up][up]

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
Horton vision 175. I can not say enough about it.. Very well balanced , extremely accurate, the most compact, and very quiet. When i held it and shot it there was no comparison to the the others. I love it.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Parker Tornado.. nice and compact with good balance and plenty of speed. Only thing I don't like is its loud.

·
Registered
6,607 Posts
I have a parker BuckBuster 175 it shoots awesome.. I bought it from WvernCreations back in April for $399 with a cocking rope and 4 bolts I have not hunted with it yet I plan on winter bow with it. I used ny compound all fall bow its time to try something new.

·
Registered
15,556 Posts
I owned a parker tornado with the hawke mr scope. it was great

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Horton Team Realtree Ultralite is super light weight (6.5 lbs.) and treestand friendly. it also has dry fire.
Excellent Xbow..Accurate,,lightweight and fast...Very pleased with mine.[up][up]

·
Registered
4,249 Posts
Horton Vision 175..Narrow, super quiet and as accurate as it gets. Awesome

1 - 20 of 37 Posts