New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,409 Posts
I have gone here a couple times these folks never fail to please check out their photo section you will see a few folks from this site on it.

http://www.thewernerranch.com/

·
Premium Member
14,409 Posts
Oh one more point if you are looking to do a waterhole hunt with your bow a guided deal is best and also best with someone who controls BOTH the hunting and the livestock on that land you don't want to travel all that way to spend a week stairing at sheep and or cattle.
If a DIY deal is your cup of tea look into decoying on public land ,Montana has EASY to get tags for bowhunters.

·
Registered
5,833 Posts
Werners! [up][up]

John and I were there last year with some of the usual suspects.

Lots of good antelope, great folks, good food, they treat you like family.[up]

Fly to Denver, drive to Cheyenne, then over to DOUGLAS (their letter head says Lance Creek but the hunt is at their rance in DOUGLAS. DO NOT drive to Lance Creek, drive to DOUGLAS!!!!) I didn't stop and read the directions.[wallmad][wallmad]

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks guys. im thinking a waterhole hunt. ive checked out the werner ranch website recently and also noticed they've gotten good grades from bowsite.

jakesbeard, good tip with the livestock. never even thought about that...

·
Premium Member
14,409 Posts
jakesbeard, good tip with the livestock. never even thought about that...
I never did either....till 18 - 20 years ago I LIVED it!
I was in a plywood blind and not only did the water hole get plauged by cattle but the damn things liked to RUB them selves on the edges of the blind and tear the thing apart with me in it! It's funny NOW but than I was [mad][mad][wallmad][mad][mad]second day (The O/F had 2 blinds for me) I sat the other blind turns out I could choose between blind #1 that had LOTS of water and LOTS of cattle with some antalope too and blind number 2 which had no cattle but no water or antelope either![wallmad][wallmad]

Day #3 found me BACK in blind #1 WITH A BOX OF SCREWS AND A SCREW GUN I kid you not! Of course the pronghorns always came AFTER THE CATTLE LEFT and I WAS WORKING CONSTRUCTION or is that RECONSTRUCTION?
One time they came while I was standing out in the open the blind a wreck you could say I was as obvious as a fresh turd on a pool table (The goats didn't come too close).
It's funny now but wasent than.
Another good one that gets high marks on the bowsite is the Spearhead ranch they are related by the way and I don't know if you have ever heard of Montey Browning but it was Montey who got the Werners going on the water hole hunts back a bucnh of years ago when the Spearhead was over booked!
There are lots of folks who can do a good water hole hunt for a bowhunter I just know it took me a couple of LESS than steller experiances to learn who some of them were and why they are good and some not so good.

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
have you ever done a diy hunt for goats? i was really tempted, but i just dont think I'll have the extra time to dedicate to doing it myself. i wouldnt feel comfortable going on my own for a 4 day hunt for my first goat hunt, would need a full week which i dont think ill have next year....

·
Registered
9,577 Posts
I hunted the Douglas area for 10 years or so.This was on The Smith Sheep ranch.. It was a do it yourself kinda hunt. You paid a tresspass fee and were asigned a pasture to hunt...

Last year I hunted public land in the same area took a nice goat... and a great 5 by 5 Muley..

·
Premium Member
14,409 Posts
have you ever done a diy hunt for goats?
yes with decoys in the Roundup area of Mt.
If you have little time but can afford it go with an outfitter but states like Wy. Mt. S.D. have walk in hunting areas were the money made from the expensive non res licences goes to leaseing land to hunt on. Do you homework and it can be done.
I hunted the Smith with Sugar one year it was great with MUCH quality game you got a water hole to hunt that nobody else messed with and when he says "A pasture to hunt that was I think on average something like 3000 ac for just you or you and a buddy! You might want to do your homework by asking the Douglas chamber of comerse for a list of "Tresspass fee hunts" and talking to the Montana Department of Fish Game and Parks about "Block Management hunts" in Regions 6 and above all 7.
Keep in mind while pronghorn hunting 1 rainy day can mess things up for the next 1 to 4 days!

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
i hunted archery in the high plains of montana years ago. there was a water hole every 100 yards.sitting wasnt an option. the outfitter used cut outs of cattle with handles that we stood behind and walked up to the antelope. it didnt work out every stalk but you could get within 40 yards most times. you can also hunt indian properties that have different rules for tags. look into fort belknap montana. http://www.huntingreport.com/hunting_article_details.cfm?id=63

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
well thanks for the info guys. now its time to research what i need for tags....thanks again....
over the counter tags went on sale like 2 weeks ago.good luck getting one..i applied for mine months back, when i got mine there were only 8 left in my zone,,and were sold out the first day..

1 - 16 of 16 Posts