New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any WWII buffs on here? Just came across some medals, a purple heart, a distinguished cross and an air medal in a very nice display case with all the boxes for the medals and paperwork to go with them. Again working at a new spot in PA where we buy stuff and these just came in. If anyone is interested PM me and i can send some pictures....Thanks again.

·
Registered
4,370 Posts
These are illegal to sell:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stolen_Valor_Act_of_2005

Many people aren't aware that selling medals is against the law but it is. Maybe try and find the rightful owner or that person's family? They'd probably be glad to have them. The only person who should possess a Purple Heart is the person who shed the blood to earn it-or that person's family.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This is not true, only the medal of honor is illegal to sell, and it is also illegal to claim that you earned them, they are perfectly legal to sell. There are plenty of auction houses and military collectors who collect these medals. We have done the research. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
purple hearts are all over the internet,, i guess folks just die and the family just gets rid of them. My mother in law gave me one last year from her deceased husbands nephiew

·
Registered
4,370 Posts
Under the act, it is illegal for unauthorized persons to wear, buy, sell, barter, trade, or manufacture “any decoration or medal authorized by Congress for the armed forces of the United States, or any of the service medals or badges awarded to the members of such forces.”
That seems pretty clear, but 1madcow is right-they do seem to be everywhere-maybe it's just not prosecuted often? Pretty sad...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts