New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Dicks has a 410 that also converts to a 22. Have seen it go on sale a couple times. Very light and perfect for a kid. Purchased the h&r 410 to let freinds kids shoot, to heavy for them.

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
Do yourself and your boys a favor and get a 20 gauge. A 410 is good, but they will have better luck with a 20. Just my 2 cents

·
Registered
651 Posts
a 410 is an experts gun,but since I don't know why you want it,I would get the cheapie from Dicks.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
just bought my nephew a 410 from a member of the site and it was a great decision. it doesnt kick as bad as a 20 and its a single shot great for starters far from a experts gun

·
Registered
4,044 Posts
20 ga single with some low velocity light loads would be a good alternative, hell of a lot cheaper to shoot. Just my .02 since a few mentioned it.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That's why I asked here first. I remeber starting with a .410 myself and figured it was only natural. I did find an H&R 20 ga local real cheap so maybe I'll go that route. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
651 Posts
you can get an HR in 28 also, a bit more shot in the pattern than a 410.
I started with a 410 too,couldn't hit squat with it,moved up to 20 ga and started having success.both of my nephews started with a 28 and are pretty good shot's with it.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Unless he is very young or small, I would check around for a used youth 20 o/u or SxS. The Stoger Condor Youth is great, about $350 + paperwork. They get used to the safety and trigger(s) quicker than you think. You can also restock an adult size gun to fit him (nothing fancy). In my opinion kids grow out of "little .410's" too quick, the're ill-fitting and the hammers are a handicap. You can get Little skeeters gauge reducers and use .410 or 28 gauge shells in the gun to start him and get much more use, and probably better results with the gun. Ya' get what ya' pay for.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
I just picked one up for my son for christmas from jim Flynn I think it was 150.00 for the youth model and standard is about the same. H and r 410

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
I bought my son a Rossi starter .410/.22 combo at Dicks for $100. The .22 is great, but the .410 kicks like a mule because of it's lightweight. Hell it left a bruise on my arm! Mine weighs 3 pounds.

The one Ken is showing is 7.4 pounds and that 4 pounds of weight makes all the difference. My point being, don't get a "light" gun because it's for a kid. One gets used to the weight, but not the kick. Just my advice.[up]

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
dicks is running the trifecctia rossi model on clearance .410 .22 .243 for $99 reg $350

i just special order the 20ga/.22 model for $160 from dicks

·
Registered
17,902 Posts
I'm on a major 410 kick right now. In the last 3 months I bought a 311e & a 311a dcs 410s. Both in great shape & both under 200. Add them to the 2 410 single shots in the closet & I cam start an army with 5 yearolds.

Ppl on this site gave you great advice... go with a 20.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
My boys are 7 and 8 and I want to teach them right. I think a single shot 20 is probably beat plus I could use the adapters to run .410 shells to start with. Anyone use those gauge adapters?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts