New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
If you got the $, buy a Troy-built 27 ton splitter that can split horizontally and vertically. I bought mine last year after 5 years of "wishing". It works great and cost me about $1250 at Lowe's. Just some friendly advice in case you end up buying brand new.

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
If you got the $, buy a Troy-built 27 ton splitter that can split horizontally and vertically.
I second that. My buddy has one and I keep trying to get him to sell it to me. I really want the 35 ton one myself.

·
Registered
194 Posts
been splitting wood for years... Get one that will go both horizontal and vertical.. Watch the honda motors some are ok most are cr#p.. I have an old briggs that starts second pull every time and I can get parts.. My fathers troy built with honda motor is on its third motor in only 5 years.. All out of warranty full cost to him to replace. My splitter will not go vertical but if you know what you are doing rolling large base pieces onto the splitter is no problem...Heating my home with wood for over 4 years supplement the wood heat with oil on very cold days.. Only use 100 gal. of oil a year and my wood is free....Free heat it truly is priceless......

·
Registered
452 Posts
fire, some others have mentioned lowes and troy built i bought one at lowes in butler about 5 years ago with a briggs. the honda must be a higher xl model before its good or better. the one i bought was later in the season after the early fall push. it was a customer return for 250.00 off the price with all the warrantes in tact. there was a problem keeping it running and the answer to the problem was to use mid or hi test gas only no regular. the model i bought had the wireing harness and break lights 27 ton vert and horiz. why didnt i buy this sooner is what i said to myself the first time i used it and you can realy knock the crap out with a pile of logs with it. bob

1 - 10 of 10 Posts