New Jersey Hunters banner

61 - 75 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
8,011 Posts
Shoot rats in the barn or clay birds if you must, but I feel the diminutive .410 is largely a waste of time.
[lol] Sorry Brian but a 5/8oz load of NP #7 at 1380fps is hardly diminutive. 205 #7 pellets in a full choke 410 is bird lethal out to 30yrds

·
Registered
9,620 Posts
The fact that a 28 ga is relatively "hard hitting" compared to other gauges is not mystical, but can be proven with science. The shorter shot string puts more pellets on the bird or clay pigeon at the same time and has less holes in it.
The F&S article did not find this claim about shot string of the 28 to be true.

·
Registered
8,011 Posts
The F&S article did not find this claim about shot string to be true.
Then the writers "science" leaves a bit to be desired. Shot string lenth has EVERYTHING to do with pellet count at time of impact. Don't be coy archer, you know what patternmaster chokes are intended for, you had one. A short shot string puts more pellets on target at time of impact.

·
Registered
570 Posts
My daughter started on a 410 and will use nothing else. She is 25 now smokes clays and birds in open field over pointing dogs.
But it just dose not do so well in the home of the woodcock and grouse.

·
Registered
8,011 Posts
But it just dose not do so well in the home of the woodcock and grouse.
Ahhhhhhhhh Lou you just shot me in the heart[hihi] My favorite woodcock gun and load is a 410 loaded with a half ounce of #8s. You're killing me bro

·
Registered
991 Posts
I already have a nice 16 Ga but one can never have too many lol. What do you have that you're willing to part with?
Going to be parting with my factory new "STOEGER 12 GA. COACH GUN SUPREME SXS with blue/stainless receiver and gold trigger complete with new metal carry case. Will be listing it as soon as I come up with a price.

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
See some guys mentioning 410s. We all know it's not a gauge . My problem w that gun is they're typically choked so tight the rat hole whatever ya hit. And lots of kids are started on them. Not kids guns

·
Premium Member
8,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
Did tdaly ever find his 28 gauge?

Guys, megathanks for all the input and opinions provided here. I did succeed in getting my 28 Ga SxS, picking it up from LeftyJT this past weekend. I got a BNIB, unfired SKB that is SWEET. Anyone dealing with LeftyJT as a seller should deal with absolute confidence. He's a no BS, straight up guy and a real tribute to this site. Hats off, as well, to Ducati for putting me on the deal!

Max, I'm going to need to pick your brain on some of the loads you referenced earlier, bro.

Reactions: Bucksnbows

·
Registered
8,185 Posts
Guys, megathanks for all the input and opinions provided here. I did succeed in getting my 28 Ga SxS, picking it up from LeftyJT this past weekend. I got a BNIB, unfired SKB that is SWEET. Anyone dealing with LeftyJT as a seller should deal with absolute confidence. He's a no BS, straight up guy and a real tribute to this site. Hats off, as well, to Ducati for putting me on the deal!

Max, I'm going to need to pick your brain on some of the loads you referenced earlier, bro.
You know we need pictures, right? :ThisThreadIsWorthle

I'll have to do the same with my sweet little Renato Gamba SxS and post them up here. Congrats on getting hooked up. And whatever you do, don't let anyone know Ducati is a great guy (It'll ruin his reputation). [ko]

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
in my eye's skb's are the best doubles money can buy ...I am sure you will enjoy it as will your kids and their kids and son

·
Registered
230 Posts
Glad I didn't chime in while this was hot and heavy. I had no problem hunting one handed with my Lowly Charles Daley that has always been my upland gun. Shot plenty of wild pheasants in Jersey as well as plenty of grouse (how is jumping 13 in one day on Schooley's Mt.) , although if someone had put a 28 in front of my nose at that time, I would probably be raving about it here. Always liked to do things a little different, but don't think I could drop 3K on a gun I would drag through the brush. Although I'm gonna die with my Daley, I have a well used Lefever 20 I might let go for not much. Jack

61 - 75 of 75 Posts