New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im in the market for a cheap .22 LR rifle. I just need something to be able to help control the groundhogs around my property. I have found many guns at local gun shops but most are $200 or more. Before I go out and buy a new one or expencive used one I wanted to see if anyone on here had any for sale.

Price range is less then the gun shops or a resonable price. Preferably a 22" barrel. Bolt action. A place to mount a scope. and if it can hold more then one shot thats a plus.

If you have anything close to above for sale PM me or post and I will get back to you.

·
Registered
482 Posts
If its just for groundhogs why hot save yourself a ton on ammo and get a GAMO .22 caliber Air Rifle......you can absolutely hunt very effectively with them and they won't bother the neighbors.....and their not all that expensive and last forever. Just an idea.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I did look into air rifles and I have many .177 but I wasnt sure about the .22 in air rifles. I had heard max range of 20 yards and I will have to be taking close to 50 yards. I am planning on head shots for eaverything would a .22 air rifle have the power at 50 yards?

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
The real problem with .22 pellets is their lack of weight. The heaviest I have seen is approx. 25 grains, whereas the average 22LR round if 40 grains.
At equal velocities, the .22 LR carries much more energy.
I would take a subsonic .22 LR over a .22 pellet any day of the week.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts