New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for an inexpensive 16 ga or 28 ga shotgun. Really not looking to spend more than $350. Does anyone know of any?

I know I cn get a new Stoeger for that price. Just check if anyone knows of any that are used.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I guess you're looking for a double?

We have a Browning pump in 16 ga, straight English stock, excellent condition - a few very minor dings/scratches on the walnut. It was supposed to be sold over the weekend, but the guy is giving us a runaround (I think) with his NJ FPID card.

·
Registered
8,185 Posts
Remember that both 16s and 28s are far fewer than 20s and 12s so they are more expensive on average than those other two gauges. Ammo is also more expensive due to lower demand. I pay a lot for my 28 ga. bird shot compared to my 20 gauge ammo.

·
Registered
5,055 Posts
If you are serious about a 16 ga. & 28 ga., you won't regret either choice, provided the gun is scaled properly for the gauge (JMHO). A 7.5lb. 16 ga. or a 6.5lb 28 ga. kinda defeats the purpose of a handy, lightweight format for the respective chambering. Of course, that rule changes if you are using the gun for target work vs. field work. Upland use is where these gauges shine with their light weight/power ratio. Ammo can be pricier, but if you reload you can create choices that normally aren't available and possibly make the process more economical for yourself as well.

You MAY be able to find an old beat-up used M12 in 16 ga. for "close" to the price you are looking to spend, but I'm not so sure about anything with two-barrels. Older M37's and 870's are fetching good prices these days in a 16 ga. as well but are in the ballpark of what you're willing to spend if you look around. The only 28's I see out there with two-barrels that are affordable (<$1000) are the CZ's. I have no experience with the Stoeger's, so can't comment.

Some good forum sources regarding any and all things 16 ga. and 28 ga.:
http://www.16ga.com/home.html
http://28gasociety.proboards.com/index.cgi

·
Registered
7,283 Posts
Best bet for a double would be to look for an older Model 311 in 16ga. You might find one close to the $$ you are looking to spend. Try Gunbroker.com to get an idea.

·
Registered
5,055 Posts
You can also look around for an older Win. M24 (SxS) or Marlin M90 O/U. These can be found in a 16 ga. but they will run in the $800-$900 range. (Who'd have thunk this?). The Stevens Tom suggested is also a solid performer.

·
Registered
58 Posts
few years back i picked up a lightly used, 16 gauge Beretta Silver Hawk, for ~$500 or so. basic, but handsome, side by side. extracters, not ejectors, shortish barrel, fixed chokes. not ideal perhaps on paper, but it's become my favorite grouse/bushwacking gun due to light weight, size, etc. perhaps worth looking on gunbroker.com for the model?
only suggesting it as i found the used Silver Hawk to be a better made shotty than the inexpensive turkish guns out there. good luck.

·
Registered
5,055 Posts
few years back i picked up a lightly used, 16 gauge Beretta Silver Hawk, for ~$500 or so.
I've looked at two older Silver Hawk's in the last year. One a 12, the other a 16 ga. The 16 ga. was as recent as last month. Both were clean and going for $1,400. These are great guns, worth the price, but getting harder and harder to find. They have both an underlug lockup as well as a Greener crossbolt on the top. Very well made, probably better than the newer Silver Hawk's today. The only drawback these had was sometimes the rib loosening due to a poor solder. I have a 12, from the 60's. Beautiful gun.

·
Registered
7,283 Posts
Hey Mike, I got an idea. Take a "small" pension loan and I'll sell you one of my 16ga Merkels.:D

Or a little smaller one and I'll sell you my Sterlingworth in 16ga. ;)

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hey Mike, I got an idea. Take a "small" pension loan and I'll sell you one of my 16ga Merkels.

Or a little smaller one and I'll sell you my Sterlingworth in 16ga.
Yeah, there you go.:D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.