New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Never used a finger release, and was thinking about getting one. I've been using a Tru-Fire wrist strap for the last 10 years. Looking to get some feedback from people that have used both. Also, I know my anchor points shouldn't change, but do you think I would have to make adjustments to my sight. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
You will never look back ounce you get use to it !
The finger release is much more sensitive , I feel I'm much more accurate then the wrist release.
You shouldn't have to move the sight at all .

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Thumb release for me - never went back to a wrist after. Stays on my bow - don't have to hook in - just grab it and pull back.

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
I made the switch this year. And as other had said I will never go back go a wrist strap. I did have to move my peep though and some people have to lengthen their draw if their release is that much shorter. I only had to move my peep about half in inch and then sight in. I was shooting the truffle hardcore and now use the trufire four finger. After this season I might try out a carter as they say they are among the best out there. The one thing I do like about the trufire is the floating head. It Took me about a month to get used to the thumb style release but once I did my groups much more consistent and I no longer shoot at the same spot twice because although I enjoy refleching I don't want to do it every day. Me personlly I would not switch now. I would wait I until after the season. I made the switch during turkey season and called in a really nice Tom and drew back on him and my arrow hit two feet in front bc I hit the thumb release in the excitement while drawing back. I had only been using it for a week at that time. Just give your self a chance to let it become second nature and during the seasons that is a tough thing to do. Best of luck

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Switched from a crappy wrist strap to a half decent (but nothing fancy) thumb release and I love it. Groups got tighter and I never bash the release against my stand in teh woods anymore. CLANG and there go all the deer running away.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
I will be switching after this season. As other have stated I wanted to get familiar with the release before I go into the woods. Most of my friends that switched say they will never go back to wrist strap stile release.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
It pays to try out different styles of releases during the off season to find something that gives you the most consistency. I have a box of releases that have steadily grown over the years. wrist style caliper, thumb and pinky style, a bunch of back tension and so on. One thing to remember, what works on the range or back yard may not be the ticket for up in the tree stand in the heat of battle.( I found this out one year when I went to a back tension release and tried hunting with it. whole new experience!)

·
Registered
10,949 Posts
I learned with a finger release and eventually switched over to a wrist release because i started using the tru ball (ball on string instead of loop). I definitely shot better with a finger release because your hand is better planted against your face. With a wrist release you tend to float your hand near your face. Your anchor will be more below your jawbone so you will have to raise your peep and sight in again. I am considering going back to it myself but just dont have the time to reconfigure, Nd also dont like making big changes during the season

·
Registered
197 Posts
if and when you switch, your sight will change in with anchor. its a spring summer game... wrong time of the year to change something about fundamentals. many different wrist straps. do try others. best string of shots on deer was with a win mitt release, shot poorly on dots and 3ds, the trigger pull is rough. now i shoot dots and 3d well with my stan, thumb and love it and hope for results similar in the future.

·
Registered
10,462 Posts
All the posts in this thread have me thinking about switching from the wrist strap release. I am satisfied with the accuracy I get with the wrist release. My issues is with the wrist release wearing gloves underneath is a pain in the azz. If I need to remove my glove I must also remove the release. That increases the risk of dropping the release from the treestand. That's why I carry two releases. Also the strap on the wrist release is a source of scent. I drench it in scent killer before every hunt.

I think I will start shopping for a new release. Any recommendations?

As someone said I am not going to do it until spring

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
I tried switching from a wrist release last year and went from a Scott to Carter (both top of the line). Although the carter had an unbelievably too trigger I still prefer the wrist release. I do like the idea of the handheld release but I just couldn't get used to it. My nephew hands down prefers the handheld so I guess its just personal preference. I will say that, for me, my anchor point was changed between the two releases so you will likely need to make changes to your bow when switching between the two.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts