New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to try ice fishing this year,what would I need to start?

Is the ice thick enough yet?

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
Get some tip-ups and an ice auger. I haven't ice fished in years. I am going to tag along with some of the guys on the site this winter I hope. Don't know about the ice thickness though.

·
Banned
65 Posts
I would recommend getting the Polar Tip-ups.
I have a few jigging rods because sometimes I catch more fish jigging artificials vs. live bait on tip-ups
I have a Jiffy Auger with a 10" drill but I always carry a hand auger.
Cabela's has tons of ice fishing stuff
You will need a sled to bring everything out on the ice. I made mine with plywood and 2 old skies.
It's a great time.
Here is a great site for ice fishing and checking lake conditions;
http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?board=15.0

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
The past few years i have almost done away with tip-ups...it gets to be a pain in the butt for me...its nice if you have a bunch of guys and are hangin g out in an area for the day cooking and relaxing but if you want to move somewhere then it gets to be too much...i find that i catch many more fish on jigs than tip ups but dont get me wrong tip ups are a blast..the best part is watching the reel spinning inside the hole when you look in...ill be doing alot of icefishing this winter and would be willing to meet up with some of you guys..i have a few good spots around that i usually do pretty well at...

max

·
Registered
10,462 Posts
I would recommend getting the Polar Tip-ups.
I disagree. Polar tip-ups are the most expensive. If you are just starting out you want to minimize your investment in case you don't like it. The only advantage with Polar is that you don't have to chip ice from the hole periododiclly. The disadvantage to Polar is that they sit almost flush to the ice. Snowmobilers can't see them and when there is deep snow you can't see the flags If you are just starting out get inexpensive wood tip ups. Avoid the cheap plastic tip-ups. The flags go up from the wind every 2 minutes.

·
Registered
10,462 Posts
Posted: 19 Dec 2005 9:13 AM

Currently Online Posts: 4
No safe ice until after new years unless you find a small pond on the shady side of the mountain. The tenderloins will have to wait until 06.
Look at www.iceshanty.com. There were guys going out on Hopatcong this past weekend. No thanks on my part. My handle on iceshanty is 4inch_ok for a reason.

·
Banned
65 Posts
I disagree. Polar tip-ups are the most expensive.
I disagree that the polars are the most expensive.
The polars are $12.99 and the Frabills are $23.49 and the Predators are $24.99.
They are more money than the cheap wooden ones for good reason as you said you do not have to chip them out of the ice and they don't trip with the wind and something else You will not have to buy another tip-up again to replace them, They last forever. I have my Polars for almost 15 years now and the only thing I have to do is replace the line and lube them with with lithium lube and you should do that with any tip-up.

·
Registered
10,462 Posts
Posted: 19 Dec 2005 12:22 PM Last Edited By: jyoung

Registered User Posts: 35
Quote:
I disagree. Polar tip-ups are the most expensive.

I disagree that the polars are the most expensive.
The polars are $12.99 and the Frabills are $23.49 and the Predators are $24.99.
They are more money than the cheap wooden ones for good reason as you said you do not have to chip them out of the ice and they don't trip with the wind and something else You will not have to buy another tip-up again to replace them, They last forever. I have my Polars for almost 15 years now and the only thing I have to do is replace the line and lube them with with lithium lube and you should do that with any tip-up.
I am not familiar with these Frabills & Preditors. Wood tip-ups are about 1/2 the price of Polar. The flags go up almost 4' high. I have wooden tip-ups that are 15 years old.

·
Banned
65 Posts
Frabills and Predators are sold thru Cabela's, That is where I saw them. I also have the wooden ones but prefer to use the polars for the obvious advantage that they don't freeze and that when you get a flag you don't have to look down the hole to see if the fish is running you can just watch that pin do it's spin.
But hey to each his own, It's just my opinion.

·
Registered
10,462 Posts
Posted: 19 Dec 2005 1:41 PM

Registered User Posts: 36
Frabills and Predators are sold thru Cabela's, That is where I saw them. I also have the wooden ones but prefer to use the polars for the obvious advantage that they don't freeze and that when you get a flag you don't have to look down the hole to see if the fish is running you can just watch that pin do it's spin.
But hey to each his own, It's just my opinion.
You have to realize that I am cheap also.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts