New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Banned
5,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know of a place that you can pay to hunt for a day. I guess like a pheasant preserve but for deer. But it has to be fair chase, no fences.

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
Im not trying to be a jerk, but....

Why do it that way?[confused]

What weapon are you planning to use? Just go deer hunting on a WMA (if you have the proper requirements).

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
Check the hunting digest. There is a place in there. It is a bowhunting preserve in Hardyston.

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
And what requirements. A HUNTING LICENSE THAT I'VE HAD FOR 10 YEARS NOW.
Yeah for starters a license would be good, glad you have one. [up]

A weapon capable and legal for harvesting a deer would be next on your list. Theres a few other things you need to know before you go hunting for deer (ethically) too. Shot placement, animal recovery, field care, etc. You can either learn them through books, videos, and experience or you can go with someone who already has knowledge of this stuff.

I dont think you could learn it all from a one day deer hunt though.[down]

Maybe you know everything you need to do though? Maybe you are just looking for an easy deer kill? I dont know. Just trying to help.

By the way, hunting is a very safe sport in general, the chances of being shot on public land are very slim. You should worry more about the trip to and from your hunting area....better chance of being killed in an auto accident than while hunting.

·
Banned
5,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok Matty, I don't know if you are trying to be funny or being serious. Like i said, I have been hunting for ten years. With 99% of it being for pheasant. I have in the past gone out on public land for permit shotgun and fall bow. And when i went bow hunting there must have been 40 other hunters in the woods. You couldn't stay in one spot without seeing another hunter. But I live at least an hour from ANY huntable public land. So i can't just go out and scout for a good spot before or after work. i just have to pick a spot by what i may see when i go pheasant hunting. I'm not as lucky as most of the people on this site. I don't have private land to hunt on and i don't live close to public land or a member of a hunting club. So that is why i would like to do something like that. And yes i do have a license,a shotgun, slugs, buckshot, cloths, boots and pretty much everything someone would need for deer hunting. The only thing i do not have is a good place to go.
As for the knowledge, I know where the vitals are on a deer are so i know shot placement and all that stuff they teach you when you go for you hunter safety course.
See this is what makes me mad. I ask a simple question. And you guys think i'm a new (Or not even) a hunter. " For starters you need a license" NO (edit)
I just gonna stop now before i piss more people off.

G

·
I also live an hour away from good deer hunting areas, I too have no private land to hunt on. But what I do is put the time into this sport I love so much. To say that your not LUCKY like some guys here is an insult, these hunters on here put there hart and soul into seeing deer let alone getting one. I haven't hunted that much this year cause of an illness in my family, but everytime I went out I could of gotten a deer, but I am in that stage of pick and choose on what I want. I did get a 5 pointer back in October, beacause I got to know my area well. I have a guys joining me on the shotgun deer/bear hunt, I have the general location where to put them, they have to pick the tree they want to sit in, and I can't have the deer/bear walk right in front of them, hell they may not even see any game, but thats why we call it hunting. These guys here are good hunters but most importantly they are great people, some I know, some I don't, some Im friendly with others I'm not, but to say they are LUCKY isn't a good choice of words.

Hunting birds is one thing, deer is another. But in my 25 years of hunting I never saw 40 hunters in a general location. I never see anyone while bowhunting, and during shotgun I may see 2 or 3 guys, where you do your deer hunting I don't know, but if your seeing that many during the bow season I would look for a more remote place.

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
Geez Ringneck.

Judging by your initial question I thought you were a newbie. I was just trying to help you out. I figured you had NEVER been deer hunting before and were looking to try it for a day.

If you're looking for a guided hunt, fine. I misunderstood your intentions. No need to get pissed off.:eek:

Good luck finding anger management classes...errr...I mean a guided hunt.:p:D

Welcome to NJH as well.:)

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
Ringneck you hunt Flatbrook right? Is does get crowd for doe day but it is worth it. Is is a good area. 1st deer was from there. But there is other areas in zone 4. You can hunt Walpack WMA or the Delaware Water Gap. I would head to the top of the mountain up by Flatbrook and let all the hunters drive the deer to you. I should have asked, do you have a doe permit for zone 4? If not pick up a spot in a zone where the permits are over the counter. Zone 8 and Zone 9 have a lot of shotgun days. There are also a lot deer. They are right down Rt 78. Try Clinton WMA, Black River WMA, Hacklebarney State Park to name a few. Zone 5 has a decent population of deer also. Try Whittingham WMA or White Lake WMA. They are right down Rt 80.

It may not happen this year. You may want to try want I am going to do next year. I am going to join United Bowhunters of NJ and try to take advantage of thier hunts.

Just oa couple of suggestions.

·
Registered
13,448 Posts
I also have to travel 1 hour to hunt. I hunt both Public and private. This year I'v hunted public about 20 times. Not once have I seen another hunter. And Ive killed a few deer. I also let about 10 walk by in bow range. And have seen about 50.
Ringneck, It takes some legwork and you can find some excellent public land.
Theres no need to pay to get a Deer in NJ. You already pay for a liscence.
Some of my hunting buddies call me lucky but I put in alot of time to make it happen.
Spend your time in the woods keeping mental notes of where you see Deer moving.Move to those places. And your LUCK will increase dramatically.

·
Banned
5,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The one time I went bow hunting was opening day last year, I think it was Sept.11 and it was in Assumpink one of the few zones that open early. So everybody that has been waiting for the season to open was there. If you drove down the road there was a car every hundred yards. That can only mean there is a hunter out there somewhere. I may not have seen every hunter but someone drove those cars there. And I know you guys put allot of time into finding your hunting spot. And I wish I could but with work and the rest of my life I just can't. Not to mention if they don't stock pheasant there, then I don't know if it is public or not. I know, I know, if there is a posted sign then it is private. I know you guys where thinking that. Like rpemt24 said, the Walpack, I know it is close to the Flatbrook but I’m not sure exactly where. And I know there is ALOT more, but I just don't know where it all is.

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
Ringneck, thats what this forum is for. Hunters Helping Hunters. *(you can send me the dollar later Mystic) :D

Where are you looking to hunt deer? Or more appropriately, where do you live?

There are state lands across the state, and many of them dont see nearly as much pressure as the ones mentioned above.

Seeing lots of people on certain state lands is normal, and opening day is a joke. Good luck finding a parking spot, let alone a hunting spot.

Im sure someone lives by you and can help you get started with deer hunting. Finding state land, narrowing down deer movement, etc. You shouldnt need to hire a guide to do all that. We all try to help each other out.

Just dont ask me where I hunt cause Im not telling. :p:D

G

·
Just dont ask me where I hunt cause Im not telling.
same here, I told just enough guys....But like Matty said, we are here help each other in whatever we can. Im in Bergen County, your in Hudson County, tell me where would you like to hunt DEER?

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
Ringneck,

Where exactly do you hunt at Flatbrook? I know you said at the dead end where the bridge is out, but which one? Is it the 1st one just past the river or the one past the Layton Hotel?

Anyway this is how to get to Walpack WMA. Go to Flatbrook like you normally do. When you make the turn at Rosie Pizza keep going to the stop sign at the fields. The bridge is out to your left. Make you right. Stay on that road. Eventually you will see a trailer park to your left. Make a left turn right past the trailer park. This road will take you to Walpack WMA. This road will circle the mountain. It is all part of the Delaware Water Gap. When you get around the mountain there will be a "Y" unmaintained road to the left and a paved road to the right. The right to the right will take you back to the trailed park. The road to the left will bring you through the Delaware Water Gap. There is a lot of land in the Gap and as long as it isn't posted it is huntable.
Also the main road leading to Walpack WMA has a few right turns Peter's Valley to name one. If you make any of the turns, they bring into the Delaware Water Gap as well. Next you go pheasant hunting up there go for a ride. Great area and a lot of land as well. Check it out.

·
Banned
5,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yes i do live in Hudson county. And if anyone knows hudson county. You know there are no deer, or pretty much no trees for that matter. Well for where i would like to hunt. I'm not really picky. Just somewhere not hunted really hard. Like i said i have to drive at least an hour already.

·
Banned
5,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks mpemt24, I'm going tomorrow i'm gonna check it out. I've seen the trailer park but never went that way before.
Sorry if i pushed the wrong buttons before with anybody. After the first post i felt like i had to defend myself.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts