New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
15,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well here is my story...for the first time i'll have an empty freezer.... started new job few months ago,,,been very busy so no time for hunting except 2 pheasant hunts...now all hell broke loose too many emergencies at work and saturday is shot...so guys keep the pics comming i'm living vicariously thru you all....didnt even bother getting doe tag as it would be a waste [mad][mad][mad][mad]

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
That sucks.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
Hey guys, I bet if we all got together, we could donate some venision to wingshooter to fill his freezer?

I plan on hunting all the way through winter bow. I would like one more doe for my brother, but I could offer you some venision if I get an additional deer.

-dan

·
Registered
15,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well wasnt my intention to get free food when i posted this thread....was only venting my anger....but on the other hand will not say no to venison,,,would very much appreciate it

·
Registered
625 Posts
Well here is my story...for the first time i'll have an empty freezer.... started new job few months ago,,,been very busy so no time for hunting except 2 pheasant hunts...now all hell broke loose too many emergencies at work and saturday is shot...so guys keep the pics comming i'm living vicariously thru you all....didnt even bother getting doe tag as it would be a waste
Lou, what is going on here!! We got lots of hunting ahead of us. Stay positive, we will hunt again!!!

·
Registered
15,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i'm positive with pheasant hunting but deer week was a total bummer...was counting on saturday and that went to hell....its been tradition that i allways take vacation during deer week

·
Registered
5,435 Posts
I had a great 6 day....

1 8pt buck 169lbs dressed
1 4pt buck 105lbs dressed
1 Black Bear Male 250lbs

I try to take the good and the bad seasons the same. I enjoy hunting and have learned not to put all the pressure on myself to score a buck all the time.

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
My freezer is almost empty! The last deer I harvested was on OCtober 1st in Paulunskill WMA! Been tought for me this year too. One buck and zero does!

·
Registered
10,462 Posts
Currently Offline Posts: 131
Well here is my story...for the first time i'll have an empty freezer.... started new job few months ago,,,been very busy so no time for hunting except 2 pheasant hunts...now all hell broke loose too many emergencies at work and saturday is shot...so guys keep the pics comming i'm living vicariously thru you all....didnt even bother getting doe tag as it would be a waste
Back in 1986 I started a new job in the fall. Since I didn't have any vacation time I went and got a NYS license and Sterling Forest permit to hunt Saturdays & Sundays. I only had a shotgun at that time no rifle. With primarily topo map scouting I got what was then my second best buck ever. After the buck I got this year the SF buck is now my 3rd best buck.

It's too late for you to do what I did, but my point to you is don't give up hope, hunt when you can and maybe you will get lucky.

·
Registered
15,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
not giving up hope was only letting off steam...i mean the job is worth it otherwise i would have told them no way about saturday....last few years have been excellent for me so this year not so much... take the good with the bad[cool]

·
Registered
15,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Not trying to bum you out more, but me and Quinto came across a big buck at Assunpink today. Two shots, no buck!
where in assunstink were you guys... not the same deer we saw whille bird hunting were they??

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Get a permit for a zone you can hunt til February. Don't listen to all the self-rightious posts around here. If it's the only time you can get in the woods , do it. Knock down the first one you see and fill your freezer.

G

·
Get a permit for a zone you can hunt til February
hunting deer this late puts to much stress on the herd, and in my eyes needs to stop.
Knock down the first one you see and fill your freezer.
thats why the deer herd is down statewide, and we don't see the number of deer like we have in the past

·
Registered
18,010 Posts
Take up bow hunting the deer aren't streesed. In zone 11 there are less deer but theres plenty to be had. I didn't even go out for gun and I feel bad for the guys that don't get there deer. I'll start hunting birds again come Monday and bow hunting deer and winter bow.Its way to easy with the gun in my club so I just hunt from my bow stand thats baited.Try to pick an area with more deer in it.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Over population and starvation is alot more stressful than hunting pressure. The state allows hunting in these areas to reduce the herd.I think carrying capacity of the land and herd balance is more important than seeing a hundred deer per outting.
BHC you took what 3 or 4 deer this year, maybe your seeing less deer in your zone because your taking too many. So your saying it's ok for you to take 4 but wingshooter can't take 1 ?
If you had to worry about hitting a deer while you were driving down Garbaldi Ave I'm sure you'd think differently about overpopulated deer herds.

G

·
Tail: lets get the facts straight before you start preaching....I took 2 deer this year, 2 bucks. I had does under me everytime I bow hunted, and not once did I even draw on them. Im all for taking antlerless deer, but where do you draw the line? The state tells us it's OK to take unlimited amount, well maybe when they 1st started this program is was good, but the hunters did what was asked, period. Now it's time to cut back both the taking of all these antlerless deer, and to go back and have winter bow only, no more gun hunting after the new year and no hunting for deer till Febuary. We don't see none of the so called BIG BUCKS states allowing hunting till Febuary. Mark my words I've been saying it for awhile, you guys keep taking all the antlerless deer you want, and one day you will be lucky to see a deer in woods, it happened this year with the PA hunters. It's not a matter on who gets the most deer, seeing them in my eyes makes the hunt, it's an added bonus if I get one.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
BHC ,you're fortunate enough to have a job that allows you the time too hunt as much as you do.Some people don't have this luxury,so if the state is giving extra time to manage certain areas then why shouldn't we take advantage of it .The seasons are not statewide ,they're in problem areas. If the big buck states had the same situation that New Jersey does their management tactics would be the same.Face it we live and hunt in the most densely populated state in the nation not Kansas. Isn't it better that we have the opportunity to harvest these deer rather than them getting hit by cars or culled by management companies and wasted. When was the last time you drove down 206 or 202 or 287? It's real nice seeing them smashed on the road isn't it? How about the extra insurance costs?
Bottom line is this I love deer and deer hunting ,I take 2 deer a year and sometimes it's better for me to get out in February then in December .
And Dude you don't know better than the biologists your a cop not a scientist.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.