New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This was the worst opening day I've been involved with in my 25 years of hunting. Not that I didn't get a deer, but because I didn't see the number of deer that I normally see, I only saw 5 bald heads. We heard very little shoting, maybe 14 shots, they came from 1/2 mile or more away, didn't seem to be many guys hunting this year as in the past.

What about the rest of you Nimrods, how would you compare this opening day to years past?

·
Banned
1,192 Posts
Dick you have entirely to much time on your hands.3477posts,MY GOD.Why dont you get married or something and have a kid,so I can be an uncle.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Why dont you get married or something and have a kid,so I can be an uncle.
cause I see how old you look, and see the things going thru your brian, so Im playing it SMART

·
Registered
6,890 Posts
Usually, for my family, shot gun season is very poor. In nearly 30 years of hunting I've only gotten 3 during buck week, my brothers haven't done much better with one killing a buck in 1985 and 1986, and not seeing one since then, and the other taking about 5 deer in 24 seasons. This year, both of them already have had chances...one got a buck today, the other missed an 8-pointer opening morning...at 20 yards...with buckshot (he had his turkey gun with a scope on it and the buck came running through full tilt and he couldn't get it in the scope).

I also talked to a few check stations around my area and they were both pretty busy. Maybe it had something to do with the number of trucks I've seen out there. On Monday, everywhere I went there were trucks parked and hunters out, lots of people in the woods means lots of dead deer.

Do you think more guys were waiting on a bear, and that's why there were not as many deer killed up there?

·
Registered
7,954 Posts
Not that've been hunting for a long time, but this was by far, the quietest opening days I've ever had. Then again, it was only my 4th.

David

·
11,226 Posts
I was in zone 8 and I heard shots all day.... 25-30 at least... I saw 17 doe and one buck... I didn't get out today but I'll be back out tomorrow dark till dark.. I'll be out the rest of the week dark to dark actually...Unless I wack a nice buck that is!![up]

·
Registered
8,694 Posts
I'll be out again tom. morning and hopefully there will be something to show for my patience. Jim did you say that you were doing the schooleys hunt this year?

·
11,226 Posts
Jim did you say that you were doing the schooleys hunt this year?
Yep.... I'll be there this Thursday.... The hunt there is only 7 days. This Thursday and the next then 3 or 4 in Jan. and 1 or 2 in Feb.... I can't remember the exact dates off the top of my head but it's 7 Thursdays..

·
Registered
10,427 Posts
To be honest, shotgun season usually sucks pretty bad for me. I'm certainly not a buck magnet by any means, but shotgun has always been especially tough.

Neverthelesss, I did have a shot on two legal bucks yesterday evening and saw some does. I heard more shooting yesterday than any opening day in the last 8 years I would say.

But, I still don't have a buck tagged! :)

Hey Doug, I never realized that was your nick, I've always known you are DV1 on AT! LOL :D

·
Registered
8,694 Posts
A guy i know is doing the hunt as well. I think he and i are going tom. to get him set up. I am going to apply for it next year. Is this your first year doing the hunt JIm?

·
Registered
18,010 Posts
Congrats Drag. I passed on several myself and had a cruiser at 35 yards but been having a little trouble with eye sight. I am fully instinctive with no trick nifter stuff on my bows.

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Well--I saw the most deer ever, 50+, but they were mostly yearlings and does. I did have a chance at a dinker spike early in the AM so I guess that I had my shot..We took a total of 7 bucks off the club so I guess it was a good day. Zone 2.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts