New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not necessarily on here but in my searches Ive seen some hunters use wool under their under armor cold gear and some wear the wool on top of the under armor.....which would be the correct way if there is one? My gut feeling says wool should be on the skin but I honestly dont know.

I dont have any wool layers yet(burrrr) but looking to get some. Cheap wool better than no wool at all Im assuming too? I remember mako saying to check marshals for good deals

·
Registered
5,456 Posts
Forget the under armour in general. Way over priced and it just make you wet and cold. Good ol wool insulates even when wet and will keep you warm. There is a reason why it's still around and is still the best. All these high tech fabrics still cannot compete. Dump the under armour and go with merino wool base layers. I like the first lite stuff. For out wear I like filson wool Jackets and pants.

·
Registered
7,176 Posts
Wool is very scratchy to me....hence I always where a turtleneck base layer under my wool

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks everyone for the responses!

Im not a huge fan of under armor either. Its what i have had for the last few years tho and I think i definitely need something else to go with it....besides my camo hoodie jacket etc...

I definitely dont have the money to shell out this year for merino wool base layers which I do hear is awesome stuff. Im hoping by next season I can get some or put it atop of my christmas list

Do you guys think at worst, use my U/A and if I can find a cheap wool sweater and pant that it would be sufficient enough over top the U/A. Ive managed so far without any wool at all

·
Registered
687 Posts
Thanks everyone for the responses!

Im not a huge fan of under armor either. Its what i have had for the last few years tho and I think i definitely need something else to go with it....besides my camo hoodie jacket etc...

I definitely dont have the money to shell out this year for merino wool base layers which I do hear is awesome stuff. Im hoping by next season I can get some or put it atop of my christmas list

Do you guys think at worst, use my U/A and if I can find a cheap wool sweater and pant that it would be sufficient enough over top the U/A. Ive managed so far without any wool at all
Get yourself some basic heavy weight or expedition weight polypropeline underwear from Cabela's. Here's a link to the polar weight crew top.Cabela's MTP Polar Weight Crew – Regular : Cabela's

Reactions: outdoorslife

·
Registered
8,011 Posts
If you want your nuts to itch put the wool on first,if you don't...

On a serious note, Patagonia Capilenes in expedition weight is the best you can buy

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
If you want to go "old school" its silk then wool. The silk draws moisture away from the skin and the wool will hold it till it slowly evaporates. I have went back and forth between some of the new stuff like under armor and the old tried and true silk. Its kind of a toss up between the two. Army surplus sites can have some pretty good deals.

·
Registered
17,891 Posts
Cheap wool is worthless. Quality wool from Kuiu and others is noticeably warmer. Silk is great also as an under layer and my buddy swears by Patagonia.
When it comes to cold weather hunting gear, I'd rather be broke and comfortable hunting than freezing my nuts off with a couple extra bucks in my pocket.

·
Premium Member
4,189 Posts
This thread is making me itch reading it, screw wool!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts