New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for some input on wool camo, since I go away New York, pa and Maine. I'm looking for a good brand or a brand of wool clothing that is worth the money. Tired of wearing the good old coveralls. Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated

·
Registered
600 Posts
My aunt got me a will sweatshirt from the auction when I was a kid and that was the warmest sweatshirt I ever had. Dead winter I wore a turtleneck (wool is itchy) and a light camo jacket (sweatshirt was white and black). I have been looking for one like that ever since. Also looking into one of the wool outfits from cabelas but it's like $300

·
Registered
7,176 Posts
While it may sound a bit odd, the original camo was plaid. Developed by the Scott's and still in use in Scotland today. Many traditional archers still hunt with wool Plaid in a variety of patterns and colors, and its readily available in light weight, medium weight, heavy weight, extra heavy weight, and blanket weight. Best on the Market today is Teresa Asbell's at G. Fred Asbell Traditional Archery Wool Articles Page I prefer their "Timber Ghost" for late season, their "evening stand green" for early season, and "Hedge Apple Hideaway" for right now when there's lots of color in the forest. Remember, you don't need to look like a tree, you just need to break up your body pattern,

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
King of the Mountian I think is the very best. While their stuff is very expensive, I believe you get what you pay for. I have had my pants, bowman's jacket and heavy jacket for years and it is still like new! Good luck!

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
I still wear LL Bean Camo wool jacket with woolrich camwoolflage bibs. They are 15 years old. I love them for all day sits. Too bad that Woolrich doesn't make real hunting clothes any more. The cabelas Outfitter wool camo looks nice. Wool clothing lasts forever so you do get your moneys worth.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Sleeping Indian...have had my pants and pull over for 20 years and still going strong. Actually sent it back a couple times for them to patch a couple of spots from rubbing on trees when climbing...before I added a hand climber. They added a hand warmer pocket which has been great.

Cabelas carries it now.

·
Registered
9,711 Posts
I have a set of the Columbia wool. It had held up well and gets hunted hard.
also have the cabelas wooltimate , but found most times it's too warm for our hunting here. I like their wind sheer Berber fleece a lot more. And hunt it most of the season.

but what ever I'm wearing I always use a LLBean polartec windsheer vest underneath. They are thinner than a sweatshirt and warmer than most jackets.

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
King of the mountain, sleeping indian , autumnwood outfitters and raven wear. I own all of these and top of the line stuff. Personally the wool is to hot for me here in nj. I use the raven wear.

·
Premium Member
3,808 Posts
I still have a Woolrich plaid hunting suit that I used during my beginning days as a Pa deer hunter. It's incredibly warm but does get heavy when wet.
My father wore his for years and without orange on you disappear in the woods in plaid...

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.