New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
September 12 was a day that had its up and downs. Deer movement was slow, and the rain gave me a wet ass. In the morning sit i saw a nice 9pt but had to let him go because of the doe first rule. I had him at 5yrds dead to rights.
Afternoon sit was a good one. My dad drove up from delaware to hunt with me. It was the first time we ever bowhunted together. I saw a total of 6 bucks and 5 does in the afternoon hunt. The bucks, didnt seem to have a care in the world. Once again i had all of them at 5 yrds. Dead to Rights. The does came in half hour before dark, and i thought for sure that i was going to be taking a shot. The fawns ran down the hill towards the trail/bait like a fat kid at a buffet. Momma stayed pretty far back from the young ones as they ate. Another doe probably last years fawn, came into the trail/bait and started enjoying their corn dinner. This is when the hunt was ruined. I already had my bow in my hand and getting ready to take a shot at the 1.5yr old doe. I moved my feet very slowly to get into position. When all of a sudden the 1.5yr old doe let out a wheeze and they were all gone. They ran in all kinds of directions.
For opening day of bow season the deer seemed really spooked yesterday. I dont know why. Anyway good luck to everyone else. I will post again tonight after work. Lesson of the day. 1.5 and 2.5yr old bucks are easier to hunt then does.

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
wow i guess no one cares...Not even words of encouragement...Thanks

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
The mature doe is teh hardest animal in the woods to kill. If you get a chance to shoot one take it everytime. They will screw you up on a buck sooner or later! Good luck the rest of the season[up]

·
Registered
8,011 Posts
If you can learn something about your hunt each time success comes more often. Keeping a journal is the first step [up]Good luck next time,remember,you'll learn more from your mistakes than your successes.

·
Registered
14,076 Posts
Great job Len. I like to record the wind speed, direction and temp for reference with the sightings[up] Lots of action is always fun[up]

·
Registered
12,826 Posts
most mature does are on higher alert in the rain because smell is knocked down and there hearing is not as good ...you'll get one len[up]

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Take the taps off your boots[rofl]
Nah, sorry to hear you got busted... you'll get 'em next time[up]

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Were you winded, or you just dont even know?
i think it might have been the rain, since it knocks your scent down. But i moved maybe an inch and she pinned me...it was amazing

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i am at work right now going out this afternoon...

I am 20ft up...with a cedar knoll behind me. i am in the middle of the woods so i know i wasent sky lineds. I am moving that stand this week to a better position. I dont like where it is situated right now...

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
September 13th, i went out for a evening hunt. I sat in a different stand tonight and i thought for sure it was going to be promising. Around 5:00 a small very small 5pt walked in 10yrds. Put it this way, a spike with 2 brow tines, and a crab claw on his left. About a half hour later a nice doe walked in and i wasent paying attention, when i finally noticed her i stood up grabbed the bow and waited for her to clear the bush about 20yrds out. She looked around and around and i guess something didnt feel right so she backed out and never made it to the clearing. Right before dark i spotted movement up on the ridge. A lone doe all by herself. It could of been the sameone but i dont know. This time i am prepared i stand up nice and slow, clip the release on the bow and wait. She goes to 50yrds stops and just looks around. I know she didnt wind me because she was definitly not downwind. She didnt like what was going on either so left the area. thats it for now going to bed good luck to everybody tomorrow.

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I went out hunting on Monday Sept 14th. I saw a nice little buck. At last light i had a 2 fawns and a big doe come in. the little ones at the corn and decided that they wanted to walk right under the stand. Momma stayed out 25 yards and wouldnt turn broadside until very last light. That was it. I am going on saturday morning. Hopefully i can put one down.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts