New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just saw Channel 12 News, they reported and showed another bear in WOODBRIDGE. The local police treed the bear until NJFG&W came to take the bear away, it was a yearling. The guy in charge of the NJ Bear program, told the on lookers what they where going to do, then explained that the reason the bear is in WOODBRIDGE is that NJ has to many bears up North. (no shit)!!!!!

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
with so many bears problems I think we may have a season this year

·
Banned
8,011 Posts
Now...Now... Campbell said New Jersey doesn't have a bear problem in the State. The anti's will say it was a miget dressed-up like a bear so the mean old hunters can have a bear hunt in 2005. We all know the the Anti's and Campbell are Right... New Jersey has Bears and thats No problem as long as we can hunt them Teasty Big Game Animals... Everyone please Join T.B.G.A. today No money to join other then the cost of a hunting Lic & permit.

·
Registered
14,824 Posts
We will not have a season unless people start writing letters to newspapers and pick up the phone and call legislators and tell them Campbell is sitting on the bear policy and doing nothing.

·
Registered
3,768 Posts
They treed one in Jackson too. But I'm not too concerned since the state's wildlife management program is in the able hands of the commissioner of the DEP, who is also wise enough to consult with the state supreme court on such matters.

Ant

·
Registered
14,824 Posts
F&W have received DOUBLE the amount of complaints this year than last. They can't even come close to keeping up and can only respond to the most serious complaints.

·
Registered
568 Posts
I heard they had to get permission to use tranqulizers and relocate.Its only a matter of time that someone will get attacked!The bear was relocated somewhere on State Property in the South.

·
Registered
14,824 Posts
The bear was released in Asdsunpink with another bear caught in Trenton yesterday.

F&W responded only after Senator Viale (known anti-hunter) called the Governor who in turn called Campbell. They were already up to their ears in bears but were told they must respond to this one.

This is what happened yesterday alone:

1. Bear break in in Highland lakes.
2. Rabbits eaten in Vernon
3. 2 roadkills
4. Bear in Woodbridge
5. Bear in Trenton

·
Registered
6,890 Posts
Sounds like the time is right for the NJ Outdoor Congress to seize the momentum and push for a bear hunt this year. Hunters already will lean on the incompetent Campbell, now maybe some concerned citizens will too.

·
Registered
10,456 Posts
First off, I just found this forum & joined last week. I was going back through the bear hunting threads when I found this post about the bear capture in Woodbridge back in May of '05.

I was one of the officers involved in the capture of the bear in town. For those of you who are not familiar with Woodbridge, it's the fifth largest municipality in the state of NJ, with a population of just over 100,000 residents, covering 27 sq. miles of totally developed real estate. We are absolutely NOT "bear country"!

It took NJDF&W over 5 hrs. to respond after the bear was located in the backyard of a residential neighborhood, across a small creek from a children's backyard birthday party. In the end, the bear was tranquilized and removed by Division personel. Not an everyday occurance here, but further proof that we're oversaturated with bears in a state that refuses to acknowledge we've got a problem.

Here's a picture of the bear after the capture (he was a one & 1/2 yr. old male weighing in @ 164 lbs.):

·
Premium Member
14,409 Posts
It took NJDF&W over 5 hrs. to respond after the bear was located in the backyard of a residential neighborhood,
Well I am sure that time will be reduced greatly when the Div. of F+W is totally bankrupt parted out and rebuilt into what only can be described as a Black Bear Gestapo and P.R. response team, focused only on bears and any troublemakers who would contribute to negative press for said bears. All hail Jackson and Corzine!

·
Registered
14,824 Posts
It took NJDF&W over 5 hrs. to respond after the bear was located in the backyard of a residential neighborhood, across a small creek from a children's backyard birthday party. In the end, the bear was tranquilized and removed by Division personel. Not an everyday occurance here, but further proof that we're oversaturated with bears in a state that refuses to acknowledge we've got a problem.
Guess what, paid for ENTIRELY with YOUR hunting license monies. (this "rescue" alone probably cost us over $5,000.) Because of this and other incidents like this NJ F&W cannot afford to fund childrens fishing derbies in 2008. It's criminal.

·
Registered
10,456 Posts
I agree with both Jakesbeard & bloodtrail's comments. I'm not complaining about the response time from the Division (I'm a volunteer with the WCC & a hunter education instructor myself), just trying to illustrate the point that their staff is being overwhelmed by a bear population gone out of control. Kelsey Burgess (the Division's head bear biologist) is a great guy who works very hard to manage the bears of NJ, but is handicapped by an administration that caves to the pressures brought to bear by the antis.

This bear was in the middle of suburbia, and letting him wander back into the (non-existant) woods here wasn't an option. See for yourself by going to http://maps.google.com/maps?tab=wl and looking at the satellite hybred map. The bear was located & recovered in the "woods" of Colonia, NJ (between Kimberly & Jordan Rd.s & Inman Ave). Since he was considered to be misplaced and non-agressive, what was at the time refered to as a "catagory 4" bear, it was decided against destroying the bear simply because he wandered outside of what's considered suitable bear habitat.

The right answer would be for the state to stand behind their own biologist's data & allow a bear hunt. Using the license funds for what they were intended for in the first place would allow us to have a bear hunt AND the kid's fishing derby. Heck, if we had the bear hunts we were supposed to, this bear never would have made it all the way down to Woodbridge Twp. in the fisrt place!

·
Registered
127 Posts
Because of this and other incidents like this NJ F&W cannot afford to fund childrens fishing derbies in 2008.
The kids derbies were not canceled due to inadequate funding. They were canceled due to lack of manpower due to a retirement and the hiring freeze by the great governor Corzine. The Division has Federal money to pay the salary but heir Corzine won't allow it. He has hired new people to fund the bear education program though, our money not federal. Do bears have to answer to a truancy officer if they don't show up to the education program?

·
Registered
5,898 Posts
when we were checking a deer yesterday by assunpink the guy from fish and game said some have been released their

1 - 20 of 20 Posts