New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there guys and gals:

As you know, I am obviously new to the site and to hunting. But it'll only be another month until I'm out there in a stand in the cold trying to learn the ropes. I was just wondering if anyone had any useful input for a woman hunter.

I think I already have the right kind of clothing set up for me...but it's the rest of the gear that I may be worried about.

If I like bowhunting, do you recommend a bow that would be good for a woman? Obviously we would probably use lesser draw weight. Or should I just go to a shop and have them fit me for one?

Also, do you know any other places other than Cabela's that sells women's hunting clothes and gear?

Thanks!

·
Banned
3,206 Posts
farmgirl,hook up with Matty he can really help you out with your bow issues.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thx... I might. Is there a way to try out a bow for a while before I decide to buy a brand new one or something? I guess the only thing I'm scared about is that I'll buy a bow, and then, for some reason, not be good at it, or not like bowhunting or something....

I guess I could always buy one and sell it if I don't like it.

I'll get in touch with Matty if I decide on getting one...thanks :)

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
NJFarmgirl,

First of all, you will LOVE bowhunting. No better thrill in the world. Shooting with todays modern equipment is actually pretty easy, and just about anyone can become efficient enough to hunt with it. You shouldnt be worried about that, just worry about all the bills you will pile up on new hunting equipment. :D

You can try bows at the shop, but Im not aware of any shops that would let you bring it back after a month (or other amount of time over a week or so) of shooting it. It would get too costly, shops dont make much on bows as it is, and the minute they leave the door, they have lost value. :(

Finding the right bow for you is a simple matter of figuring out your price range, and then trying several bows in that range. I can suggest certain models of each brand to look at. Having a pro-shop help set you up is the ONLY way to go though. Proper fit of the bow is the most important thing. A pro-shop will help you get that perfect fit. PLEASE dont buy from a catalog, or from a website, etc, unless you have already been fitted for a bow, and have tried the particular model you are purchasing. Too many people lose interest in this sport because of ill-fitting equipment.

I understand you are in Florida at the time being, but if you are ever in the area of Lake Hopatcong, the shop I work for is;

East Link Bait & Tackle
206 Landing Rd, Landing NJ 07850

The phone number is; 973-770-8318
The owners name is Nick.
My email is; [email protected]

So you know, I give discounts to youths and female archers to help promote the sport. Not sure if you fall into both categories, but you only get one discount. LOL :D:p

Hope you decide to take up the sport, it will be more time you can spend with your BF in the woods. Like I said, its the greatest thrill in the world. Nothing is better than bowhunting.:)[up]

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
:) That would be awesome :) I already know I like shotgun... haven't tried muzzleloader, and I only shot a gay bow before. I am pretty sure I'll like it. I may take you up on the offer of stopping by at some point.

As for the discounts... I don't need one. I know that I would DEF fall under the female one... haha. Not so sure about the youth (depends on what the qualifications are. I feel that if someone is of legal drinking age, they aren't considered a youth anymore :) )

THanks guys!

PS... are there any other women hunters on here other than Deerseason Widow??

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
the only other one i know is KarenPocono
And she hasn't posted in quite a while. Drag she is your aunt isn't she? Why doesn't she post anymore?

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
Im not familiar with "gay bows", but if thats a new company, I think I will pass. :D LOL

Oh and if you are of legal drinking age, you "JUST" missed the youth discount. Sorry. (16 and under) :D

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
hahah..yes...

www.gaybows.com... j/k

I went to some free shooting day at a local club. They handed me some really old used up little kid's recurve bow that was totally not meant for me. I shot precisely but not accurately (and if you don't know me that well, I get frustrated easily when I don't get something right...)

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
I could make some REALLY AWFUL jokes about www.gaybows.com, but I think I will refrain.:eek::D

As for getting frustrated, I cant say this with the utmost in certainty, but if you are fairly coordinated, you will probably be shooting well enough to hunt within a week. (Dont get me wrong, you will improve over time with proper practice, but there shouldnt be any "frustration" involved)

The key is learning to do everything the right way the first time, and not having to unlearn bad habits. Teaching a complete newbie is a lot easier than trying to "RE-teach" someone with bad habits.

I have a few questions for you if you dont mind.
You can email the answers to me if you like. Or you can ignore me all together, I wont cry....too long.

How much are you looking to spend on a complete setup?

What is your height, and wingspan measurement? (middle finger tip to middle finger tip) *DONT stretch for the measurement

Are you opposed to shooting with a release aid?

From these questions, I can begin to recommend bows for you to look at.[up]

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
DSW, I may be able to help you out with that.

If you ever want to bring it by the shop, just let me know when, as Im usually not there. :)

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
NJFARMGIRL,
Trust him with his set up. He got me a new bow and had me dead on at 20 yards within 20 minutes or so.

However, don't let him take you to any of his secret spots.

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
You may want to rephrase that Mike. You make me sound like a serial killer or something? Sheesh.

Hes talking about deer hunting Njfarmgirl.....no need to panic.

By the way Mike....if I recall correctly, I asked you to still hunt with me, and you refused. Didnt I shoot a nice lil doe that morning about five minutes after you rejected my offer? HMM.......:p:D

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
Yes, I believe that is what happened. However, I believe you said you were going to drive some deer to me. Hmm:p

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I have a few questions for you if you dont mind
I don't mind you askin the questions at all. Unfortunately I don't have most answers to my measurements yet (hehe, yah I know many jokes can come of that...don't even bother). In all seriousness, I'll get around to that in January when I'm home for good. How much I will spend depends on how much I have by then...and I am probably not opposed to a release aid. But I'll figure it all out later.. :) thanks

Believe me... I won't. hehe. Probably nothing good in those places anyway! :D

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
Yes, I believe that is what happened. However, I believe you said you were going to drive some deer to me. Hmm
I tried, but they wouldnt get in the truck. I even offered them candy. [confused]

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Didnt I shoot a nice lil doe that morning about five minutes after you rejected my offer? HMM.......
Did you shoot it from your window or something? Five mins after you offered would be a pretty quick time to get all geared up, find one, AND shoot it... hmm... I'm not sure I like the sound of that ;) lol

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
Ok, NJFARMGIRL I'll let you continue with picking out a bow.
Believe me... I won't. hehe. Probably nothing good in those places anyway
That I don't know about.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts