New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering what you guys though of WMA reservations. I know some wma's in Maryland and other states allow only a certain amount of hunters at a time. And they have to reserve their spots or blinds. Why can't we do that in NJ?

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
Just because you have a bait pile doest mean that you wont come in and see a guy in the tree 20 yards from it. To me bait piles are just tips for other hunters that the deer are right here!

·
Registered
7,176 Posts
In florida, you have to purchase a management area stamp, in order to hunt on particular management areas. It does limit the number of guys. I rarely saw anyone during bow season in Florida

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
When I started bird hunting in Assunpink WMA back in 1974 you had to sign in if you were to hunt the morning hours.They limited the numbers of hunters checking in and you had to check out after your two bird limit or at 12 noon. After 12 anyone could hunt.
This made for a non congested hunt and eleminated the war zone style that they have today. I liked it.
Not sure if it would work for deer.

·
Registered
8,185 Posts
In NJ we add new WMAs or new land to existing ones each year and our hunter numbers are decreasing so I see no need to go this route. Just my $0.02

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
This made for a non congested hunt and eleminated the war zone style that they have today.
That was why I stopped Pheasant hunting a long time ago. Back then the stamp was $20 instead of $40 now. I might give it a try this year again, but still thinking about it.

·
Registered
3,711 Posts
That was why I stopped Pheasant hunting a long time ago. Back then the stamp was $20 instead of $40 now.
I still can't understand that move. I know that Rockport needed the revenue badly but when they doubled the stamp price, they cut in half the number of pheasant hunters and the move wound up being a break even. I haven't hunted pheasant since the price went up to $40. As much as I'd hate to pay the $40, I'm actually thinking about getting back into it this year as I do miss it.

·
Registered
10,462 Posts
When I started bird hunting in Assunpink WMA back in 1974 you had to sign in if you were to hunt the morning hours.They limited the numbers of hunters checking in and you had to check out after your two bird limit or at 12 noon. After 12 anyone could hunt.
This made for a non congested hunt and eleminated the war zone style that they have today. I liked it.
Not sure if it would work for deer.
AS quoted above back in the 1970's you had to register at Clinton WMA and Black River WMA (and probably a few other places)for pheasant hunting. They would only allow a certain amount of hunters on the property on Saturday mornings. As I recall you had to get there at 4AM to get an arm band. I hated it. Unless you live nearby or slept in your truck there the night before it was almost impossible to get there on time. I don't think they had it at Flatbrook because there were too many parking areas for them to enforce it.

·
Registered
10,661 Posts
I haven't hunted pheasant since the price went up to $40. As much as I'd hate to pay the $40, I'm actually thinking about getting back into it this year as I do miss it.
$40 is really a drop in the bucket when you consider the cost of joining a semi-wild club or hunting a preserve. I pheasant hunt at least 3 days a week on WMA's from Nov-Dec and view the $40 stamp as a great bargain [up]

·
Registered
3,711 Posts
$40 is really a drop in the bucket when you consider the cost of joining a semi-wild club or hunting a preserve. I pheasant hunt at least 3 days a week on WMA's from Nov-Dec and view the $40 stamp as a great bargain
That's why I'm considering getting back into it. It's cheaper than semi-wild or a preserve and if you have a good season, the cost per bird is really pretty cheap.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
I dont think there is a need, I last year i hunted On state land sometimes, when i did i never saw another guys hunting( THAT INCULEDS 6 DAY).....

If you dont want to see any other guys, grow a pair and take the hours hike up the moutain where no others dare to go[ninja].

When you see the croweds on WMAs your probly seeing them within the first half mile or so of the park....

·
Registered
246 Posts
$40 is really a drop in the bucket when you consider the cost of joining a semi-wild club or hunting a preserve. I pheasant hunt at least 3 days a week on WMA's from Nov-Dec and view the $40 stamp as a great bargain
I couldn't agree more last year I hunted opening day with 2 friends we had our limits by 9:30 and there were only 4 other cars in our lot at 7:30am. I don't mind WMAs for myself I just don't like to bring my kids there. On the other hand my buddy pays 750 a year to hunt a club which tells them what days they can hunt what hours they can hunt and where they can hunt. the birds are put out a half hour before the hunt the walk up to the fence post kick the bird and shoot it. plus in the afternoons for the " open " clean up hunt there is 10 guys 15 dogs in the same field. Last year he shot around 20 birds mostly hens for 750 dollars. (oh yeah he also caught a 000 buck pellet in the thigh on a MANDATORY deer drive. For 40 dollars I killed over 30 roosters and nearly as many hens and had the fields to myself and the dog after 10am. As far as deer go I wish they would follow the Watershed and not allow baiting on WMAs. Fine for the private land just not for public. I have killed several nice bucks off the northern and central WMAs and have never really run into "crowds" during the bow season.

·
Registered
7,176 Posts
In NJ we add new WMAs or new land to existing ones each year and our hunter numbers are decreasing so I see no need to go this route. Just my $0.02
Problem is that while more public land is opening up, far more private land is being closed to hunting-this is shifting the bulk of hunting onto state lands. hence more guys on state lands will be the norm for a long time to come

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
Illinios does it for pheasants and I liked it. We had to appply a few months in advance to get chosen. Each hunter chosen could bring up to 3 guests. And then they limited the about of guys in each area. After 2 hours you were free to roam. I thought it worked out well. And would be willing to have the same in place here in Jersey. Also after 2pm I believe anyone could hunt regardless if being selected by the lotery or not.

·
Registered
5,054 Posts
This made for a non congested hunt and eliminated the war zone style that they have today. I liked it.
I remember when they implemented this at the Assunpink as it was becoming a war zone in the late 60's.

On some lands for hunting in NY, they apply the rule of limiting hunters and it works very well. Everyone seems to get a quality hunt. Here's one location:
http://www.ocshooters.com/Hunt/STEWART/stewart.htm

Another location is Sterling Forest which is by lottery for deer, turkey and small game.

I doubt this would ever fly in NJ again, not when folks are ponying up $40 for a pheasant stamp in addition to their license fees.
Problem is that while more public land is opening up, far more private land is being closed to hunting-this is shifting the bulk of hunting onto state lands. hence more guys on state lands will be the norm for a long time to come
We lose 14,000 acres a year to "ubran sprawl" in NJ! What offsets the mad rush is fewer hunters on existing land each year.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts