New Jersey Hunters banner

Wireless fence systems?

1K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  Jmorea14 
#1 ·
Now that we're settled into our new place our dog has become too comfortable on the property. When we first moved in I could let him out in the yard and he'd stick close to the house and roam the woods around the edges or walk along the stone row between my property and the neighbor's field. Both of my neighbors have 100+ acres each and could care less if he wanders, but today I caught him on the property between ours and the county road after wandering off while I was clearing brush in the back. These folks have chickens which they free-range (luckily they were not out) and he was also very close to a 50 MPH road. Obviously a wired fence would be the best solution, but doing the entire property would be pricey/logistically difficult. I guess I could confine him to a small area with a wired fence so that when hes on his own he could wear the collar and know that he could only go so far. That said I have been seeing more and more wireless systems. I'd be curious to hear from folks here who are using them and how well they work. I'd also like to hear about what your terrain is like-a lot of the systems I've seen say that their performance degrades in the presence of uneven terrain and metal structures-we've got all of that here between sloped land, wire fence, metal gates, metal barn roofs, etc...

#2 ·
Couldn't tell you the brand of the one we use for my dog. My pops bought it for our previous dog back in the early 90's and its still in use now, even through a house change. Its a pretty level front yard with a sloped back yard surrounded by rocks. The fence goes under the driveway no problem. We set flags out when we first got our dog so he could get an idea that if you go near the flag, you get a zap. Once he got the idea that he'll get zapped if he doesn't back up when the collar starts beeping, he was good to go. Now we barely put the collar on him and he knows where he can and can't go. Granted he's pushing 12 but it's been like that for years. Even when we don't have a collar on him he's real hesitant to go outside the boundaries. We have to persuade him pretty hard to come into the skinning shed because he knows he usually can't go there. Every neighbor that has gotten a dog in the neighborhood as some sort of electric fence and very rarely has anyones dog broke.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.