New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do I want the wind in my face all the time with my shots going foward, or wind at my back with cover scent on looking for shots to go foward. Is it good for the wind to go across my body? What is the most reliable. Thanks all.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Wind in your face is always best. Scent should be going at an angle parallel to your spot, so as not to have your scent in with it. At least thats whats worked for me. One other thing to remember tho is wind doesn't tell the whole story. Thermals also carry scent. Good quick read http://deerhuntingweb.com/blog/?p=4

·
Registered
7,176 Posts
Its actually a personal choice. "Playing the wind" should blow your scent trail away from where you think the deer are coming from and away from the area where you think your shot opportunities will occur. Remember that your scent trail is actually a cone shap with you as the tip of the pyramid-it flows out behind you in the direction the air currents take it. So it should be flowing to an area where you think no deer will come.

Wind in your face is fine if you think no deer will come from behind you, but if you expect deer traffic from behind you and anticipate side shots, I would not have the wind in my face.

Also keep in mind that there's lots of people in NJ, so you can set up your stand to take advantage of scent pockets where the area is already saturated by human scent from nearby neighborhoods or roads etc...

Finally place your stands in accordance with the prevailing winds. In Sussex the prevailing wind is North West. So most of my stands are set to take advantage of that direction of wind. On the off days, I use a climber and hit a different tree to take advantage of a changed wind direction. but there are some spots that I just can't hunt unless we have a fluke wind. I have two spots that demand a North East breeze, and I only hunt them once of twice a year, but when I do-man is it a fun sit[up]

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys! Wind is like woman, you never know where they are coming from most of the time. Thanks again

·
Registered
7,176 Posts
Another thing to consider in using the wind to your advantage is attractants. If you have the wind in your face, but are concerned that deer may approach from behind you, you can set up a scent attractant to left and right at about 30 yards out. Any deer traveling behind you should hit the scent attractant, and turn to investigate before continuing on into your scent cone. This way you still get that opportunity. Good luck[up]

·
Registered
9,702 Posts
:D I never bought into this "wind" stuff. I never hunted a stand where deer only come from one direction. I don't see any need to be overly concerned about it. Stay as scent free as possible, hang your stand in the best spot and good luck.

·
Registered
12,825 Posts
and dont forget to use a rage broadhead the deer will die at the sight of one

·
Registered
497 Posts
Regardless of what everyone else says you always want to hunt with wind AT YOUR BACK or across your body facing what you believe to be there travel corridor All mature buck travel with the wind in there face so they cam smell what’s in front of them they don’t travel blindly they know exactly what there doing. Your set up needs to be almost in the deer’s favor, but you need to turn this into your favor. I do this by climbing to at least 25’ in an effort to have my scent travel above there scent line.

I also don’t believe in cover scents as most are foreign scents to the area anyway. The only scent I use is single source estrus doe urine during the pre rut and rut. Most of the lower cost urines on the market are from multiple deer. Deer know the scents of most other deer in there area so multi deer urine spooks them, during there rut a single source urine is best a single strange deer in an area is possible and peaks there intrest.

·
Registered
9,748 Posts
I always try to set up on a ridgeline where deer are likely to travel and as close to the slope as possible or a fence with the wind always in my face! You just have to observe the deer patterns and set up in a tree where you think the deer will walk in fro t of you with the wind carrying your scent behind you. I also set up as high as I can on a treestand so the deer may not scent me. If the wind is wrong for that stand, never go to it. Once they pick your location off yur done! They will look there everytime from then on.

·
Registered
8,475 Posts
i pay no attention to the wind... i like a little wind... carries the scent of my bait through the woods.... :D

i see plenty of deer, including nice bucks, and i hunt where im gonna hunt no matter what the wind is up to... never thought twice about not hunting a spot cause of the wind.

to each their own...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.