New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
9,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know a lot of guys hunt with bow as well as firearm.

If u are a bow hunter that only shoots mature bucks and does come shotgun do throw that idea out the window or do u keep on waiting for just the right deer.

And for gun only hunters do u wait for a big buck or the first one that comes by.

One more question..... If u waited all week for just the right buck and come Saturday You were unsuccessful do u eat ur tag or shoot the small 3 pt that walks by?

There are no wrong answers. Just curious

·
Registered
21,477 Posts
I still would only look to take a mature animal, honestly, If it wasn't for the bear hunt I wouldn't even touch my muzzy, I'd be bow hunting straight thru 6 days season to [up]

·
Registered
21,477 Posts
Just a REMINDER; You can use a bow or crossbow state wide under you six day license.

If you shoot a buck with your bow or crossbow during the six season, you must tag it in under your six day buck tags, if your permit bow zone is still open and you choose to take a doe during six day season it still gets tagged under your permit bow tag.

·
Registered
406 Posts
for me it depend on where im hunting. most of my spot i can only bow hunt and im only looking for big deer and pass on everything else. those spots im looking for a 140 class or better as well as a 4.5 or older deer.
other spots i have it depends on the spot, some ill wait for a mature buck, others like the one tate land piece i like to hunt ill go a little smaller because i know if i let it go other hunters in the area will shoot.
my friend im helping getting into hunting who is trying for his first deer i hope shoots the first buck that walks under him.
so for me it depends on the spot. im hunt a new piece of property for 6 day and this is the first 6 day ive hunted in 3 years so not sure yet, its going to depend on what i see. another spot i have for gun hunting it will have to be a mature buck for me to shoot.

·
Registered
8,475 Posts
i probably wont shoot anything under 6pts for the rest of my life.. i pass alot of bucks waiting for mature bucks, but i still get in the mood to harvest an average 6 every now and then... depends on if my tag is going to expire or if its been a while since i shot one, or if i dont plan on hunting for a few more weeks and just plain outright feel like draggin' lol.

this year, Im gonna try to wait for a 7pt or one of the 2 8ptrs that i been getting on camera since july... they been nocturnal since september, but the 7 showed himself 2x 2 weeks ago in daylight, and the 8 my buddy missed 2x this bow season. i hunted only 3x at this spot, 2 of them i shot bucks... hope to take the other 3 shooters i have on cam , 1 monday, 1 saturday, and one winter bow :D

·
Registered
595 Posts
I'm taking my son on Monday and Friday and he's after his first deer so for him any deer will do. The rest of the week I'll be out with the bow or xbow waiting on a 125 or better or maybe a doe or two

·
Registered
7,384 Posts
If you are buck hunting wait for the right one, if you are meat hunting there are plenty of does out there for the freezer. I would eat the tag before I shot a small buck

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.