New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm out here now, I've been in my stand since 6am, passed up a couple does but now its 10am and haven't seen anything for about an hour or two... Should I pack up and leave, or do you think I should stay till 11?

·
Registered
7,397 Posts
This time of year, I wouldnt sit too long past 9-10am, but thats just me and my properties. It might be different where you hunt.

·
Registered
3,425 Posts
i would stay in there as long as possible cause can't kill a deer from home or work

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
No. They crawl into underground bunkers around 9:30 where they remain until an hour before sunset.[rofl]

Deer are in the woods all day and night. If you're there, there's a chance you can see one and kill it.

It's that simple.

I study wild deer on a daily basis in my yard. They move in "spurts". Of course dawn and dusk see a lot of movement, but even throughout the day, they get up and feed, then bed, feed, bed, feed, bed. They basically never stop. They typically bed for a couple hours, get up, move off browsing and then re-bed.

The thing is, the movement at dawn and dusk is greater because they are travelling to main food sources where they may feed most of the night.

The daytime movement is often limited to browsing near where they bed or travelling to well concealed food sources.

Most of the biggest bucks I've ever seen have been in the middle of the day too. And not just during the rut. They seem to have humans patterned, or it just works out that they move mostly at night and midday.

·
Registered
18,010 Posts
Deer can walk around at an time and will. I can't sit more than 2 hours at best so I can't stay all day and never have.

First 2 or last 2 hours and if I did stay i would have to force myself like during the rut and hate it as well.

If you have nothing to do you are already there stay I guess if you can take it.

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
Depends on where you are. If you are close to houses the deer could get kicked up by landscapers and move at any time. But generally, deer will be active and on the move until about 9AM and then again starting at about 3-4PM. Generally. During the rut in late October and early November, deer will be moving anytime and it gets crazy. I have had deer running and chasing around come 11-1PM sometimes during the rut.

·
Registered
7,283 Posts
I know 2 of my spots I have deer coming in and out all day long according to the cameras.
They start at the one place at 5Am and come and go right through 2PM or so. Then start back again around 430PM through the night.

The other spot has deer activity at it's highest from around 1030AM right through till just after dark.

You need to know your area to answer your question.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Find the acorns and sit all day. They have been falling like crazy by me and the deer are all over them.[up]

·
Registered
6,947 Posts
Even low % chance of seeing them during the "off" hours is a higher % of not being in the woods. ;)

·
Registered
18,010 Posts
Deer move all the time no one tells a deer they have to move at certain times they just might not move where you are. They don't have set hours to sleep like we do.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts