New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We've come to far to let it slip away in the final weeks. Contact Governor Corzine and ask him to sign Sunday Bow hunting into law. You can call and email as many times as you want. I call at least two times a day, it only takes 15 seconds.

Don't allow HSUS, PETA, Sierra,... the opportunity to acknowledge our apathy by celebrating the bill's defeat.

Thank you
Ant

Call (609) 292 6000 and ask that the Sunday Bow Bill be signed into law.

or email the Governor:

Governor's email address: http://www.state.nj.us/governor/about/contact/
After going to the link

Step 1 - Select a Topic, select “Natural Resources” click continue

Step 2 – Select a Sub-Topic, select “Fish, Game, and Wildlife”

Fill in your information.

“Subject” insert – “Sunday Bow Hunting Bill A1669 / S802 ”

“Message” insert – “Please sign Bill A1669 / S802 to allow bow hunting on Sundays” (or copy and paste below letter.)

------------------------------------------------------------------

April 13, 2009

The Honorable Jon S. Corzine
Governor, State of New Jersey
Office of the Governor
PO Box 001
Trenton, NJ 08625

Re: Bill A1669 / S802

Sunday Bow Hunting

Dear Governor Corzine:

The above legislation now awaits your signature and its passage is extremely important to me. As a conservationist I am committed to responsible stewardship of our state’s natural resources and Sunday Bow Hunting helps in this endeavor.

The bill will ensure better manage New Jersey’s deer overpopulation. Every lifeless roadside deer is the result of a car accident, an accident that caused financial loss and perhaps personal injury or death.

The bill will help reduce agriculture losses due to deer feeding currently estimated to be 20% per year, reduce residential landscape damage and the transmission of Lyme disease. Sunday bow hunting will help to boost New Jersey’s hunting license revenue, aid the state’s ailing economy by drawing non-resident dollars, repeal an antiquated blue law and bring New Jersey in line with 43 states that currently allow bow hunting on Sundays.

The bill restricts bow hunting to private property and Wildlife Management Areas only. WMAs were originally purchased entirely from the sale of hunting and fishing licenses and operational funding is still provided entirely by hunters and anglers. Sunday bow only amounts to 14 days per year but is of great value to people currently obligated to family and work responsibilities.

Governor Corzine, I am one of 650,000 New Jerseyans who hunt, fish and vote. I ask that you sign the Sunday Bow hunting bill into law.

Sincerely,

(Name and address.)

·
Premium Member
14,409 Posts
HSUS and NJ Sierra are spending a lot of money against this I am sure they are doing things we are not even aware of last week they had a very misleading but convincing 1/3 page add in of all places the Hunterdon county Democrat.

·
Premium Member
14,409 Posts
Was that in last weeks paper? I didn't even notice it.
I didn't either I focused on the little Wilie Nelson add just above it my wife saw the "Big Lie" underneith it and pointed it out to me![rofl]

·
Registered
7,397 Posts
I've made my calls and written letters and faxes...etc. But it is disheartening to me to think that our legislative process comes down to who makes the most last second phone calls. Whether its calling the legislature to get the bills heard, passed, moved or now to call the governor to make it all official. That kind of process can make one think that the leg work doesnrt matter and that its all about last second pleas for action...or inaction...or indifference on behalf of whoever we are calling.

In a perfect world the facts and leg work would win the battle so to speak.

My prediction for this bill is that the gov will sit on it. Overturning legislative intent is a big move if you ask me. In the event of massive opposition from the antis, he will claim he was too busy with buget issues and that any negative attention should be focused on the legislature. With that said, I won't put my faith in that, and ill keep making the phone calls, even though I lose faith in the process with each call I make.

·
Registered
3,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I've made my calls and written letters and faxes...etc. But it is disheartening to me to think that our legislative process comes down to who makes the most last second phone calls.

Whether its calling the legislature to get the bills heard, passed, moved or now to call the governor to make it all official. That kind of process can make one think that the leg work doesnrt matter and that its all about last second pleas for action...or inaction...or indifference on behalf of whoever we are calling.

In a perfect world the facts and leg work would win the battle so to speak.

My prediction for this bill is that the gov will sit on it. Overturning legislative intent is a big move if you ask me. In the event of massive opposition from the antis, he will claim he was too busy with buget issues and that any negative attention should be focused on the legislature. With that said, I won't put my faith in that, and ill keep making the phone calls, even though I lose faith in the process with each call I make.
ChrisM

The bills passed by an overwhelming majority and should be all the evidence needed that the facts have prevailed in the house and the senate. It is the perfect example of the legislative process at work: sound reasoning, science based decision and recognition that it is the will of the people - people excersizing "their will."

I'm encouraged by all that has happened. My view of repeated calls to the Governor is to show him OUR commitment to supporting his decision. It is also a message that the outdoor community is INVOLVED in the political process, which means that we are likely voters who we will impact elections.

We are in the process of changing a longstanding paradigm and educating the public about the merits of conservation.

I am encouraged by reading that everyone is calling, writing and faxing. It proves that we care and that we have the "numbers" to influence elections. The more we do it the more our bills will pass and the more we weaken the perception of our opposition.

I choose to be emboldened by contacting the Governor, not discouraged. Before Sunday Bow Hunting there were probably only a few of us, if any, that ever tried to contact the Governor. Just over a year ago the antis were "dancing on our graves" as they proclaimed how hunting would soon die in NJ. They took Panter by the hand and got him looking into closing Rockport, they sponsored anti legislation to change the fish and game council and in the same bill freshwater fishing and hunting were to be banned.

Today we have a caucus for angling and hunting, we are now on various outdoor committees and people are looking to us for guidence on forestry and natural resource management.

Look at how far we've come in just over a year.

I've just motivated myself to make another call.;)

Ant
(PS - I think you need to join the central region at their next meeting to be energized again:D)

·
Premium Member
14,409 Posts
even though I lose faith in the process with each call I make.
The process has many differant components and the very reason for the analogy about "Laws and Hotdogs".

·
Registered
17,065 Posts
Called and emailed again this morning. Getting so the girls who answer the phone know my voice!! :D

The bills passed by an overwhelming majority and should be all the evidence needed that the facts have prevailed in the house and the senate. It is the perfect example of the legislative process at work: sound reasoning, science based decision and recognition that it is the will of the people - people excersizing "their will."
Very true, Ant [up]

·
Registered
7,397 Posts
I didnt mean to sound like I was disparaging anything that has been done so far....in fact I am very happy about all the recent and past developments regarding these bills and other work that being done.

My only point is that I hope the leg work is what carries these bills, and not what side of the battle gets last minute phone calls in.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.