New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I cant help but notice how few gunshots there have been so far.

Also heard of some poor tallys from the driving clubs last year.

Personally it dosent matter to me much because I hunt all the seasons,bow and gun. But I have seen fewer big bucks on camera this year.

Is this the new shape of deer hunting NJ ?

·
Registered
8,185 Posts
All bows can be used, not just crossbows. The 150' rule is designed to reduce deer herds where traditional hunting with guns won't work due to too many buildings, yet where our deer herds are often out of control because of a lack of hunting. Yes, some of those bucks will get shot in these situations, but we do need to cull the #s in many zones.

·
Registered
14,824 Posts
Yes, but isnt that because all of the 6 day shotgun only hunters ran out and bought one of those lazy man's crossbows so they can hunt early in the rut in your backyard? At least thats what i've been told.....

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
the reason for so few gunshots is the season. no food in the woods, the deer are in the houses. That's where the food is, and they aren't stupid. They know where they are safe.
If anything, your "dreaded" crossbow hunter in the 150ft safety zone may push the deer back out for the gun hunters.
Crossbows or 150ft rule has no negative effect on gun season success. Those deer would stay in the neighborhoods where they were to begin with.

major factors effecting hunting mon and tues are lack of food, and warm temps. deer with winter coats dont want to move when it 65 degrees out.

·
Registered
38 Posts
gun hunters from my point of view are doing it to them selves in temrs of drives. Im not objecting it (i begain bow hunting this season) but where i live before i hunted i knew when gun season was simply due to the amount of deer in neighborhoods. They drive the same woods year in and year out and push the deer towards the houses where they remain there for 2-3 weeks. I understand drives and it is obviously a great group thing making a really one person recreation into a group experience which leads to memories and stories. I am just stating that in the suburban towns where there are good parcles of land but also neighborhoods the deer escape the pressure of the woods for a few weeks.

·
Premium Member
14,409 Posts
Yes, but isnt that because all of the 6 day shotgun only hunters ran out and bought one of those lazy man's crossbows so they can hunt early in the rut in your backyard? At least thats what i've been told.....
Saul Alinsky How did YOU get into Bloodtrails computer and what have you done with him?

·
Premium Member
14,409 Posts
Crossbows have made "Bowhunting far more sucsessful kill wise for many and it was one of the original conserns of those who questioned the logic associated with the way crossbows were introduced here in NJ and of those who downright opposed them.

You will never hear or read of a state employee admitting to a mistake so just expect some form of resrtictive measure or a shorter bowseason IF the buck distribution becomes a problem.

Those of you who remember never ending buck tags during permit bow and the resulting draconion EAB for all 3 bowseasons may want to back me up here.

Those of you who have been paying attention to game code changes may also share my conserns note the request to change regsets UP or down if there is a 15% change in overall harvest for 3 years or buck distribution for the same amount and time.

Note 2 years later the request the make those reg. set changes after only 1 year.

Yes "all of the 6 day shotgun only hunters ran out and bought one of those lazy man's crossbows" and will this same crowd that Bloodtrails speaks of feel overly pealised when the bowseason is shorter or becomes harder some how via a few pen strokes? I don't think so but the people who have always been bowhunters who are or will be minoritys in what had been their season may well feel that way.
Only time will tell for sure but from my perspective the writing is already on the wall.

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
The real culprits are the endless deer season in NJ and the unlimited "antlerless". I can almost pin point to the exact year with my notes when the dramatic drop in the Zone 2 deer herd began due to these rules. People taking 10-15 deer per year and more as well as shooting buttons and shed bucks are having the intended effect. Its not the 150 foot rule or crossbows.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Keep killing does and you will be looking for a new hobby.The facts are the facts.You must understand the mission on the DFW is to manage the herd,not to give you more shooting opportunities.Now your idea of a deer herd is vastly different from theirs.

·
Registered
5,107 Posts
Don't get me started...glad people are starting to feel all the effects from "not" having proper management and regulations from the state...Where are all the deer??? THEY ARE DEAD YOU DUMMY!!!....;)

·
3,413 Posts
You will never hear or read of a state employee admitting to a mistake so just expect some form of restrictive measure or a shorter bowseason IF the buck distribution becomes a problem.
The Deer Project Manager for the DFW has ALL READY told the UBNJ that we should expect to lose 3 weeks (21 days) of bowseason next year.

·
Registered
4,236 Posts
Xbows xbows don’t you think this issue has been beaten enough J C get over it.
Truth of xbows you don’t need to practice as much as with a compound
Truth within 30 yards most xbows are a little faster
Truth at 40 yrds they suck compared to a compound
Anyone that doesn’t agree I have the CD that comes with a Ten Point and that is where this info comes from.
The A$$ O’s that think they cane shoot as far as they please is full of $^!T
Anyway any dist. Over 30 yards is nuts by the time the arrow gets there the deer could move then ya got a nice gut shot. I would love to know the number of deed deer due to dumb shoots not looking to argue just my 2 cents

·
Registered
16,174 Posts
If all the gun hunters just sat tight and not walking around chasing them into the safety zones there would be more in the woods. Fortunately a lot of drivers put away their guns,take off the orange and tresspass to drive the deer. I've taken my share over the years thanks to them. I also used to carry and the drive leader the ammo he used, sort of a thank if you will. Hope I didn't miss them today as I over slept and according to my records this is one of the days they were due. It pays to keep track of things.[patcheye] I'm also thinking of putting the gun away for a while and going back to the safety zones.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Dont know what zones you guys are hunting but things are pretty good in zone 3,maybe deer numbers are down a little but mature buck numbers have gone up every year over the last 20 years.we use to hunt all year to shot a spike now were shotting 5 year old bucks

·
Registered
12,826 Posts
i have no problem losing 21 days of bowhunting if shotgun permit season is shortened and no guns after dec 31st. the federation cooks ribs on the grill for the division so dont expect that too happen

1 - 20 of 79 Posts