New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 121 Posts

·
Registered
9,817 Posts
I've never saw one. I hunt pottersville, bedminster, hillsborough, franklin and branchburg. for about 15-20 years plenty of woodcock never a quail and never a grouse.

·
Registered
7,176 Posts
There used to be loads of grouse in Sussex. But the maturation of the forests have just about wiped them out in the areas I hunt

Reactions: deergetter

·
Registered
7,946 Posts
i see grouse up in stokes in the fall, also over in the walpack once in ahwile.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
When I was a kid In Eatontown we had a few coveys in the fields surrounding the neighborhood. We also had wild Pheasants. It's all Apartments now tho...

·
Registered
18,010 Posts
Hear tell of some WB in S.NJ but haven't seen any I actually could say ok they are myself.

2 seasons ago due believe I took a wild pheasant myself the bird had ever characterist of a wild bird from back in the day.

·
Registered
18,010 Posts
Tell me just how do you know wild quail that were released at some point? What do they do that can identify them acutally if one ran into them?

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
State stocks quail not as many as they used to tho, and not at all WMA's.
When I had a dog I used to hunt them over at Assunpink but I don't think they stock then there anymore.

·
Registered
6,947 Posts
Wild quail I saw some including a covey in Freehold about 22 years ago.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Guess quail restoration project is bs? Seen grouse every season all over the state. Grouse are here, but elusive. I have heard quail but never seen them. A friend of mine; lives in the princeton area; says he sees them all the time. I think they may be Griggstown convicts though.

·
Registered
4,429 Posts
My folks moved to Marlton back in 89. I was 15. farms on elmwood rd had bobwhites..i would see them in the mornings when riding my bike. all that ground now has houses on it. sad.

Nick

·
Registered
317 Posts
Yeah, habitat destruction is to blame. My father used to hunt native bobwhites, pheasant and grouse when he was a kid. Pretty much gone now. [down] At least NJ is moving in a good direction preserving land.

1 - 20 of 121 Posts