New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was picking up my gear this morning and turning to head back to the truck when I noticed a very large, black animal walking through the woods about 5 yds in the trees just off the edge of the big meadow we where turkey hunting in. Initially I thought it was the big, black dog a neighbor was just walking. Just as he came out of the woods I could immediately tell it was a huge pig or wild boar. Jet black with tusks and 350-400lb of him. At least 6 feet long from snout to tail. I knocked an arrow and unsnapped my knife in case he charged. He stared at me for about 15 sec. I gathered the boys close by and told them to be still. Suddenly he turned, let out a few loud grunts and went crashing through the woods. You could still hear him for about a minute snapping branches as he ran in a semi-circular direction not more than 30yd deep in the trees. I couldn't believe it. I asked a neighbor that has lived there for a long time if he knew of anyone who had a pig farm or domestic animals close by and he knew of no one. What do you make of it? Could there be wild boar in NJ?

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
Where in NJ were you?

Is there anyway it could have been a bear?

Bears make some funny noises, and they dont make any of the growling noises they make in the movies. More like pops, grunts and huffing noises. Of course that still doesnt explain the tusks...but maybe you were mistaken?[confused]

Im not trying to say you're wrong, but it just doenst seem likely. Ive never heard of wild boar in NJ...but that doenst mean they cant be here.

If you can, go back to the area and try to get a pic of it. Then you could notify fish and wildlife.

Be careful, whatever it is, sounds big enough to tear you a new one!

·
Registered
612 Posts
I'm not ruling out that it was a pet or animal escaped from a farm, but if it was a domesticated animal, would it have run away?

I think it's possible that it was a wild boar... a friend of mine has seen them in virginia and I've heard of them being in MD. A friend of mine had a mountain lion living in the area of his cabin until it was hit by a car... and that's in southern/central NY. So I suppose anything is possilbe.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Any tracks left behind??? There is a distinct difference between hog and bear tracks.

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm in SJ so I don't think its a bear although I suppose it's possible. 99% sure it wasn't a bear though. It had a longer tail, tusks and a snout. I could go back and look for tracks. It was about 9:15 this morning so I had a good look at it. If there is one, might there be more? Maybe I can bait it and set up a trail cam. I plan on getting out there on Saturday.

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Also, it had coarse hair. I got a good look at his head and he had a pig's head. Not round like a bear. Do domestic pigs have tusks?

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
Hogs (boars) kept in captivity have their tusks cut off or trimmed. Hogs released into the wild will grow large tusks.

There is a possibility that you saw a formerly captive hog, or the offspring of one.

There definitely COULD be more of them in the area. They normally live in groups.

They are cloven hooved, so it will kind of look like a large and rounded deer print. Bear prints look WAY different.

I wouldnt completely rule out a bear though, because bears and hogs can look similar, both having coarse black hair, making similar noises, and being similar in size. They are really starting to move down to Southern NJ too....finding residence in the cranberry bogs, and vast pine barrens.

If it was a boar you saw, it was a big one. They normally get to around 250#. Then again, with the two "hog-zillas" killed recently....400 pounds isnt all that big....the one pushed 1200 pounds or so.

If you want to try and set out bait and a cam-tracker...that would be great. I hope you can share some pics with us....BUT....BE CAREFUL...wild boars with those big razor sharp tusks can easily "ruin your day".

Good luck, and if you do find out what it is... report it....maybe we can have a wild boar season!:D

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
He definitely had tusks that came out of his lower jaw. They where maybe 2-3 inches long. I got a good look because he was only about 20 yds away.

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
There is a shallow pond very close to the area I was set up in. Since pigs/hogs don't sweat maybe he'll be cooling off in the mud. On Saturday I'll go over there and see if there are any tracks. If its not raining of course.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Maybe NJ can develop a permit licensing system for them. Say.... $29 for the permit. Or they could add it on to your mouse trapping license????

·
Registered
5,451 Posts
No NJ would hire some half [no swearing please] sniper shooting corporation to kill them all off for $100,000 dollars of our tax money. That makes more sense to our state, then making money by selling licenses and permits.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Mysticguido: Wild hogs, either boars (European or Russian), or feral hogs DO NOT have the requisite fat along the ribs to make bacon. Sorry, but you'll have to settle for chops and roasts.

·
Banned
8,011 Posts
Mysticguido: Wild hogs, either boars (European or Russian), or feral hogs DO NOT have the requisite fat along the ribs to make bacon. Sorry, but you'll have to settle for chops and roasts
Conan tell that to the 25 or so Wild hogs I killed in Texas and My Friend that is a butcher that gave me the bacon....

·
3,413 Posts
Wild hog........the other white meat. Bacon, chop, or roast.....it all sounds good!

1 - 20 of 78 Posts