New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I dont get it. Its just me and another guy hunting a big piece of property. All week there has been no pressure and no shots. I saw a small 1 horned spike about 6:20 opening day and that has been it. The deer are by my stand every night There are tracks every where But I cant see a deer.
I am real disapointed. I just dont understand why these deer have turned complete vampire.[mad]

G

·
samething up in my area, tracks all around my stand, and all I saw was 5 bald headed deer. Normally on opening day of shotgun we see at least 25 deer and as many as 50 plus,but not this year. I can't complaine about not getting a deer this year, I got 2, but I just love seeing them while on stand. There wasn't much shooting up in my area, I heard maybe 14 shots, all came 1/2 mile or more away, 1st one was just after 8am, and no shooting was heard after 11am

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
Well, deer tend to become nocturnal when the pressure is on, that's why they survive. Also, they tend to bed early and come out at last lite! That's just hunting!

·
Registered
15,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yea but like I said there is no pressure. I guess there are alot of factors but its still frustrating.

·
Registered
889 Posts
I hit one of my spots the other day that is primarily a bedding area. I got in there 1-1/2 hours before sunrise and there were like seven does already bedded down by my stand. They usually don't come into bed until at least half an hour after light. I guess they are reacting to the pressure form the gun hunters.

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
Maybe someone is hunting them when your not there!? This happened to me in Hunterdon County, farmer was letting people shot deer at night!

·
Registered
18,010 Posts
A deer doesn't go to bed and sleep all day! They get up and eat they have to when its cold if they can find food readily. You have to know there patterns that change with each month and food supply. They might have you patterned when you enter the woods. Have to go stealth in this season cause after the leaves drop its a differant game.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Seeing the same thing in Mt. Olive, plenty of tracks coming into the feeder but nothing during the day. Have tried early morning, mid day, and afternoon hunts and have yet to see a deer this week. Opening day counted 6 shots from 1/2 hour before sun up to 11:00 AM. Plenty of acrons still on the ground and the deer are just starting to kick up the snow and leave for them.

·
Registered
18,010 Posts
Deer in my bush are yarded up so unless they are pused to you stationary stands might not be as productive.If less activity moving them is going on they will move naturally and beleive me they know your there as soon as you leave your vehicle.They can't think or reason but they are creatures of the habitat.

·
Registered
154 Posts
We have a same problem in zone 25. Lots of nighttime pics, but few daylight ones. We're going to try stalking/still hunting after 6 day.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.