New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why when you shoot a turkey do these guys run right up to it while it's still flapping all over? Just wondering

·
Registered
289 Posts
So they can "yoke" it and kill it...x2
When I first started turkey hunting I shot a bird and figured it was dead in the time it took me to walk to it (30) yards he got up and you know the rest.

·
Registered
14,640 Posts
You never know for sure if it is reflexes (Like a chicken with it's head cut off )or just a body hit.
I used to do it all the time...But now that I'm older and wiser..I finally figued out that I can't run as fast as a follow-up shot if needed. [hihi]

·
Registered
13,234 Posts
If you fire your last arrow at a deer and you spine him dont you climb down real quick to go shank him?[ninja]

·
Registered
5,145 Posts
Sometimes they manage to fly away, not an easy track job when they fly the first 200 yds. so once you get a foot on the neck hes all yours.

·
Registered
17,902 Posts
I had a big tom that couldn't lift his head run off on me. I Chased that thing for 300 yards til it got stuck in brush. Still not dead I just let it kick the while walk out.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
because all the pro staffers do it on the shows. they look ridiculous running with a loaded gun like that.i guess if it flys away they loose the film footage.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
I really think it comes from back in the days of lead shot and before super tight turkey choke tubes, if a bird got up and took off or flew off after being hit with bird shot good luck finding it.... with todays choke tubes and turkey loads if you stay within your effective range and dump a bird more times then not he's not going anywhere

·
Registered
14,640 Posts
because all the pro staffers do it on the shows. they look ridiculous running with a loaded gun like that
When I was involved with filming hunts for the NWTF. The number one rule was....No running to the down bird with a gun in your hands.

·
Registered
7,283 Posts
..I finally figued out that I can't run as fast as a follow-up shot if needed
Exactly! I just started hunting these birds this yr. I can assure you it won't be my last yr too. :D
But I learned real quick that all I need to do is keep the bead on him after the first shot and watch.

And as a side note, we ate my big Tom that I shot in Vt for Thanksgiving. It was great eating. All of the company that came was willing to give it a try and all enjoyed it.
I guess we have a new tradition here. Besides family coming up North for Turkey Day, we will hopefully be eating a bird taken up here. Again, hopefully, one shot on our own property. [up]

1 - 15 of 15 Posts